Science Forums

Golf for the Intellectual

Moonchild

Alright, in my short few years of playing golf I became philosophical, and here's what I came up with. Each is a separate talking point:

Mistakes are best made on the playing field. Therefore one can learn from one's mistakes more easily.

To work the ball, we must work ourselves.

Pracitce does not make perfect. Self-taught amateurs have the best chance and experience on the playing ground.

One's strategy is best when personalized.

Never say "I was good. " Always say "That was good."

Only bunkers need practice and experience. Everything else just needs a plan.

Expertise is only a determining factor for the best of the best.

I understand many golfers on this forum may feel het up about this...no worries, this is my personal experience, but a lot of what was just said applies to other circumstances, too.

Fun, but not very original, moonie. I have heard phrases similar to these all over the place (no offense!).

Never say "I was good. " Always say "That was good."

I would argue that it is important to think "I was good" on a lot of occasions. It makes people feel that the achieve something. But I don't see the big difference between the two. Are you arguing that people should supress their sense of "self"?

I have heard phrases similar to these all over the place

Well, you know what they say....great minds think alike!

Saying "I was good," at least in my experience, puts a hex on your play for the day. Not pretty. In addition, it helps one's willingness to change one's swing, so if a bad shot is hit, the golfer knows it's not him/her, and is more willing to work on his/her swing, setup, etc rather than throwing his/her club on the ground. Of course, I might also add, it's a good idea not to brag. Too much reflection may cause one to loose concentration.

I know, I'm a real philosophical guy, aren't I?