Science Forums

New A+ certification exams

dont read any further if you are easily offended...

CompTIA exams suck, they are the most worthless certificates in this world, holding a comptia certifficate in your hands while applying for a real job is worse then not having a resumee. It is the most worthless thing that happened to the world of computing since the birth of bill gates.

Really, i've had to explain to comptia certified people what complex subnetting is and how programs use ports and what the difference between a NAT and PAT routers is, I have shown an A+ certified person how to disconnect and reconnect a computer, i have explained to a server sertified person what a boot sector is on the hard drive and what the bootloader does, we then got in an "argument" about windows server 2k3, the dude didnt even know what a filesystem was and what functions it performed....

CompTIA sucks, i have boycotted their tests for 3 years now and i continue to do so, an A+ or a NET+ card in anyone's wallet should have a constant reminder typed in bold red text on the back saying "You paid 200+ bucks to take this worthless test, looser!"

but that is just my feeling about comptia... any takers?

I suspected that from the A+ class I took. $ 150 pass or fail and I already knew 70%-90% of the material covered in the classes, needless to say I got two As, one for the hardware portion and one for the Operating systems portion.

one of these days I am going to figure out how the entire computer thing works... I mean really works. Not like oh that plug to that connector. But like That plug to that connector which corresponds to that Port.

Thanks Alex. I often thought that a change was due myself. However the change I envisioned wasn't this one.

Do you have any more info on why you think this particular change might be good? Do you have other suggestions for improving on the tests?

I myself haven't taken them. I probably know enough to go and sit and take them right now, but I want to be sure. (I will be taking them sometime in the next 8 months as a requirement for my job.)

it is better, because it finally splits A+ into certifications that say, ok you are a computer user, ok you work with them and ok you are a tech, so this is better for the employers. what i think they should do? really, cut out all the bull that nobody even deals with, like why the hell would i need to remember what IRQ channel the sound card runs on? that has been managed by the os for the past 10 years. also why in the world would i need to know the exact socket of a second edition AMD K6 released in 1996? really, make it either a real hardware test with long answers or make it a hands on test, not some junk where you go to a store, puck up a book, study over knight and pass your test type of test...

Well the reason that was given in the class I took for that was because you would get called upon by some clients to work on dinosaurs, which I thought was kinda self defeating cause if I were to work on a dinosaur for more than 3-4 hours it would quickly be in the person's best interest to simply get a new machine.

Yah, I've been called on to work on a couple of dinosaurs by friends and I always tell them to get a new system. At work however, it is often the case that the dinosaur hasn't been replaced because it still serves some vital function. We have a couple of old servers that are that way. (Here's hoping we replace them this year with a new system.)

But what I was concerned about, since we are the only three aparently interested in this subject, was that these tests are again worthless to the actual taker.

If I pass one test does that automatically mean that I can't do others? I generally work both in the office and with the end users, and occasionally on the phone as I just was now while trying to type this message. I also have knowledge of tearing down computers and putting them back together. I built my own computer from scratch. Do I have to pay them 4 times instead of twice to prove that I can do all this?

I think more needs to be done, and that there should be varying levels of hardware knowledge and OS knowledge.

I would suggest a PC hardware test, a Windows OS test, a MAC/UNIX/Linux OS test, and a upscale hardware test that tests all the obscure things like IRQs and what not for those people who really get into the deepest parts of all that stuff (generally I don't, though on rare occasion I have had some trouble with some win98 comps that were fighting over resources.)

i've had to explain to an a+ certified person how to connect keyboard and mouse on a noncolor-marked PC, i've had to explain why a computer with a 255.255.255.255 subnet mask could not reach 192.168.1.100 if the IP address of the person who is trying to reach it is 192.168.0.3, hell, i explained what ARP was, even what a SYN/ACK handshake is to an Net+ Wiz once....