Science Forums

Application, implementations of

this would take ages to describe, i mean just the implementations of trees should take about a doctorate thesis paper. can you specify what specifically you are looking for at for "implementation" or is this like a really general question?

This is a very general question. What are real word applications of 1) trees, 2) queue....etc.

ok, let me try to enlighten :)

trees- extremely widely used anywhere where the speed of search actually matters, namely databases and especially, filesystems. Let me elaborate a bit on filesystems. Most dont use any advanced forms of trees, but there are a couple that are worth mentioning, reiserfs, the dude came up with this concept of dancing trees, that has been present in databasing for a while, but was never really applied to filesystems, those are self balancing trees that balance in such a way that searching through them is extremely fast. Googlefs, yet another fs that implements advanced tree structures for search speed and operation officiency.

stacks, queues and linked lists really belong in the same categry, because they are progressions of each other, so i will explain for example lists. those are widely used in any software, lists are really useful, because for example unlike arrays they can store objects or other lists, making it possible to make 5-8 whatever deep linked list. they are used commonly in any software, as a better then array way of storing data, while it is not easy to search and sort arrays, that becomes faster with rereferencing pointer within lists that contain say 100 records per field. Those are extremely useful and widely used by any more or less experienced programmer...