Science Forums

Gyroscopes

Anybody out there build and or experiment with your own gyroscopes? I had to give it off for awhile after one of my wheels flew apart & splattered the room with lead.:evil: Found one piece embedded in the spine of a calc book to a depth of 1/4"!:hyper: I did suspect that might happen & took cover behind a desk before I powered her up.:eek_big:

I was spinnin' a 4" lead wrapped wheel on a 15,000RPM 12 volt DC motor. Sounded great too!:eek:

So I now know not what to do & I have a matched pair of smaller 6 volt motors too. I have in mind to put flywheels on them, join them to the same axis but counter-rotating, & experiment away.

Any other gyro stories out there science fans?:eek:

I had a cheapish one - untill I droped it :eek_big: put cracks on the inner wheel and the guard around the outside came off :hyper:

they are good fun to play with, I could hang it from string attached to one end, and it would sit at right angles to the ground (if that makes sense)

Try putting small blades on the gyro.

Now put more current into it than it can handle.

RUN!

Been there, done that.:hihi: I geared one of the big motors to a 20" bike wheel. Wayyyyyy SCARY!:eek:

Pop quiz! Take out your #2s. Who invented the gyroscope & to what end? Rep to the first answer I like. GO!:eek2:

Been there, done that.:hihi: I geared one of the big motors to a 20" bike wheel. Wayyyyyy SCARY!:eek:

Pop quiz! Take out your #2s. Who invented the gyroscope & to what end? Rep to the first answer I like. GO!:eek2:

Jean Bernard Léon Foucault (1819-1868) was a French physicist who invented the gyroscope (1852)

sorry.. ok so Léon Foucault invented the gyroscope but didnt discover the gyro effect. It was invented for an experiment to detect the earths rotation which was unsuccessfull due to friction.

Unclear what you mean that he didn't discover the effect; please elaborate.

What prompted the experiment, & have improvements in gyroscopes allowed a succesful implimentation of a gyroscope to prove the Earth's roatation on its axis?

:eek2:

The effect was discovered by Johann Bohnenberger, but Leon didnt event it untill he needed it in his experiment for detecting the rotation of the earth, but because of friction the gyro only spun for 8-10 mins at a time, this isnt long enough to detect anything. About 8 years later electric gyros where made that could detect the effect.

Gyros exibit the behaviour of precession (amoung others). The Earth also exibits this behaviour and it causes the seasons to shift slightly through the months, also it has changed when each star sign is visible. So when late Jan/early Feb was slated Aquarius 2000 years ago, it was centered in the sky, but now it is not :eek2: