Science Forums

What if Humans Stored Nuclear Waste On Other Planets?

Vmedvil

I have an idea what if we dropped all nuclear waste on another planet such as the planet Mercury making nuclear fuel waste facilities on other planets to store radioactive waste products from nuclear fission for environmentally friendly storing the nuclear waste.

Picture Of Planet Mercury

thumbnail-big.jpg

"Disposal of low-level waste is straightforward and can be undertaken safely almost anywhere. Storage of used fuel is normally under water for at least five years and then often in dry storage. Deep geological disposal is widely agreed to be the best solution for final disposal of the most radioactive waste produced."

Edited by Vmedvil

7 hours ago, Vmedvil said:

I have an idea what if we dropped all nuclear waste on another planet such as the planet Mercury making nuclear fuel waste facilities on other planets to store radioactive waste products from nuclear fission for environmentally friendly storing the nuclear waste.

Picture Of Planet Mercury

thumbnail-big.jpg

"Disposal of low-level waste is straightforward and can be undertaken safely almost anywhere. Storage of used fuel is normally under water for at least five years and then often in dry storage. Deep geological disposal is widely agreed to be the best solution for final disposal of the most radioactive waste produced."

If you can drop it on Mercury what not just drop it in the sun? 

15 hours ago, Moontanman said:

If you can drop it on Mercury what not just drop it in the sun? 

Well, I wouldn't want to damage our sun by dropping nuclear waste into it, I don't want to have a build up of radioactive isotopes in the core stopping all fusion in the sun possibly. Our star is old, and it could damage the fusion processes of our star causing it to red giant or something. I would rather store it on the planet Mercury for future usage as fuel when nuclear waste is viable as an energy source which there is some research in the area of using nuclear waste as fuel, Links = Nuclear waste U.S. could power the U.S. for 100 years (cnbc.com) and When nuclear waste is an asset, not a burden | IAEA 

"Scientists estimate that our Sun is about 4.57 billion years old."

I hope you see the wisdom of my idea by making storage facilities for nuclear waste on other planets such as the planet Mercury.

Edited by Vmedvil

10 hours ago, Vmedvil said:

Well, I wouldn't want to damage our sun by dropping nuclear waste into it, I don't want to have a build up of radioactive isotopes in the core stopping all fusion in the sun possibly. Our star is old, and it could damage the fusion processes of our star causing it to red giant or something. I would rather store it on the planet Mercury for future usage as fuel when nuclear waste is viable as an energy source which there is some research in the area of using nuclear waste as fuel, Links = Nuclear waste U.S. could power the U.S. for 100 years (cnbc.com) and When nuclear waste is an asset, not a burden | IAEA 

"Scientists estimate that our Sun is about 4.57 billion years old."

I hope you see the wisdom of my idea by making storage facilities for nuclear waste on other planets such as the planet Mercury.

You could drop the entire earth into the sun without harming the sun but you make a good point about the waste being fuel. There is a star that has radioactive waste ie transuranic elements that shouldn't exist in nature. I this guys take on the subject but if you would rather have a paper I can give you that as well. In fact the paper is listed under this video. 

1 hour ago, Moontanman said:

You could drop the entire earth into the sun without harming the sun but you make a good point about the waste being fuel. There is a star that has radioactive waste ie transuranic elements that shouldn't exist in nature. I this guys take on the subject but if you would rather have a paper I can give you that as well. In fact the paper is listed under this video. 

Well, I wouldn't want to chance dropping nuclear waste into the sun because the sun is important to our solar system, we don't actually know the what the exact effects maybe on our star but storing nuclear waste on other planets, I believe is the proper solution for future usage as fuel. If we stored all 390,000 tons of nuclear waste on the planet Mercury it would be better than keeping it on earth due to environmental impacts of the nuclear waste on Earth. We could turn the planet Mercury into a storage world that stores stuff basically such as nuclear waste. Then in the future when it is discovered how to convert the nuclear waste into energy it can be used as fuel for a Nuclear Waste Nuclear Reactor as energy. The world is very wasteful of resources that we should keep for the future, I want to change that by taking nuclear waste to the Planet Mercury for safe storage away from humans and animals along with other things with DNA which radioactive waste damages.

"Since the start of nuclear electricity production in 1954 to the end of 2016, some 390,000 tonnes of spent fuel were generated. About two-thirds is in storage while the other third was reprocessed."

Edited by Vmedvil

21 hours ago, Vmedvil said:

Well, I wouldn't want to chance dropping nuclear waste into the sun because the sun is important to our solar system, we don't actually know the what the exact effects maybe on our star but storing nuclear waste on other planets, I believe is the proper solution for future usage as fuel. If we stored all 390,000 tons of nuclear waste on the planet Mercury it would be better than keeping it on earth due to environmental impacts of the nuclear waste on Earth. We could turn the planet Mercury into a storage world that stores stuff basically such as nuclear waste. Then in the future when it is discovered how to convert the nuclear waste into energy it can be used as fuel for a Nuclear Waste Nuclear Reactor as energy. The world is very wasteful of resources that we should keep for the future, I want to change that by taking nuclear waste to the Planet Mercury for safe storage away from humans and animals along with other things with DNA which radioactive waste damages.

"Since the start of nuclear electricity production in 1954 to the end of 2016, some 390,000 tonnes of spent fuel were generated. About two-thirds is in storage while the other third was reprocessed."

Well, by the time we develop the technology to transport nuclear waste off planet I doubt we will be producing nuclear waste. The logistics of transporting even such a tiny sum as 390,000 tonnes to Mercury or the Sun is enormous and the problem of nuclear waste has pretty much been solved by deep geological storage. The use of  LFTR  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_fluoride_thorium_reactor will bring down the amount of high level waste down to a tiny fraction of what we now produce but also use what we now call waste as fuel.