Science Forums

What Is Sin?

Vmedvil

This is a thread about what is sin in the Bible.

"an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law."

Seven-Deadly-Sins-Names.jpg

More about Sin, Link = What is Sin? Biblical Meaning and Definition (biblestudytools.com)

Christians explaining what sin is, links = (1) What is Sin? | Christian Forums and What is Sin? | Christian Forums

Edited by Vmedvil

• Vmedvil changed the title to What Is Sin?
On 12/9/2023 at 12:13 AM, Vmedvil said:

This is a thread about what is sin in the Bible.

"an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law."

Seven-Deadly-Sins-Names.jpg

More about Sin, Link = What is Sin? Biblical Meaning and Definition (biblestudytools.com)

Christians explaining what sin is, links = (1) What is Sin? | Christian Forums and What is Sin? | Christian Forums

Sin is an imaginary disease and religion will sell you an imaginary cure for it. Are sins the same in all religions or are you looking to only discuss christianity? 

5 hours ago, Moontanman said:

Sin is an imaginary disease and religion will sell you an imaginary cure for it. Are sins the same in all religions or are you looking to only discuss christianity? 

You can discuss anything you want, if you want to discuss about it in other religions then go for it.

17 hours ago, Vmedvil said:

You can discuss anything you want, if you want to discuss about it in other religions then go for it.

I don't concede there is such a thing as "sin" in fact each religion has its own definition of sin all of which are defined by the particular religion and are often contradictory to each other as well as internally within the religious teachings. I was just trying to nail down exactly what you were talking about since each religion has its own ideas of what sin is.  

On 12/14/2023 at 8:57 AM, Moontanman said:

I don't concede there is such a thing as "sin" in fact each religion has its own definition of sin all of which are defined by the particular religion and are often contradictory to each other as well as internally within the religious teachings. I was just trying to nail down exactly what you were talking about since each religion has its own ideas of what sin is.  

I was talking about Sin in Christianity however if you want to bridge that to other religion's Sin definitions you can.

1 hour ago, Vmedvil said:

I was talking about Sin in Christianity however if you want to bridge that to other religion's Sin definitions you can.

Considering how little religions have in common I see no reason to do that. All though I do admit that in the context of being mythology they do have that in common. 

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, Juson40 said:

This is a demonstration of a lack of knowledge and understanding of what the term "sin" actually is.

Religion postulates that we exist in higher dimensions(the heavens) in energetical and electrical forms known as spirit & mind. There are laws that exist in those dimensions that are moving through all of the lower dimensions.

Sin is having been given free will to move according to the laws, but using the laws for a temporary, selfish gain.

Free will is not a crazy concept. A meteor barreling towards earth can't decide to suddenly change course because it is moving in accordance with the law(or laws). However, a human being flying a spacecraft can manipulate his or her trajectory to avoid earth. That's the difference between free will and the law. Sin would be if they launched a nuclear device, for example, to take out the planet because that planet decided to raise the taxes on their goods. That would be a violation of spiritual laws for selfish gain. "Love thy neighbor as thyself." WHY? Because you reap what you sow is the law of cause & effect in the spiritual and mental dimensions. You can't harm others without also harming yourself. The true nature of the universe is that everything is all one.

This is a discussion forum, not a pulpit for you to preach your own beliefs, please provide citations for these claims. 

1 hour ago, Juson40 said:

Where are your citations?

How am I preaching when I say: "Religion postulates"

Are you just hating on my approach because I challenged your beliefs by offering a definition of what sin is, which is in line with the discussion of this thread?

Religions are exactly the same story told with different interpretations. They all postulate that we come from a higher realm of existence(heaven). I'm calling heaven a dimension; or relating to dimensional phenomenon. They claim that there is a way back to that higher realm. That the higher realms, or dimensions if you will, are spiritual in nature. Thus, living justly(in accordance with divine or spiritual law) is the way to ascend in consciousness back to those dimensions. So, sin is:

I don't have to prove I don't believe you, you made some positive claims, you need to back them up.

I haven't said that religion is fake for the reason you give, you are putting words in my mouth. I do not believe due lack of empirical evidence, from that everything else flows. I am a skeptic, you make claims about God, I do not believe you. The ball is in your court but this forum is not the place to prove or disprove God. This is a science forum not a religious forum, we can discuss religion not debate its veracity.

10 minutes ago, Juson40 said:

Then the forums should be expanded for people to be able to discuss the two. They're correlated. I can explain how they are the same thing. 

When you can show actual empirical evidence feel free to present it but what you believe to be true, or what the bible says, or what you think the Bible says isn't ****. To begin with you have to show actual evidence for a god, then evidence for your god, So far in my 69 years of life I have not seen any such evidence and I've talked to hundreds of theists in great detail... so far all they have is what they believe to be true. Belief does not equal knowledge, opinions are not facts and facts are not opinions. Tread lightly, this is a touchy subject and I will tolerate no bs.    

13 minutes ago, Juson40 said:

There is empirical evidence. I'll prove it. The definition of empirical is: based on, concerned with, or verifiable by observation or experience rather than theory or pure logic.

Verifiable by observation or experience... I'll shoot for experience:

Religion postulates that we live in three dimensions here on earth. That's the same as physics, essentially. Forgive me for not citing where this is written as it would take me a while to recover it. 

It also makes the claim the dimensions are different than just purely space & time. One of those dimensions is said to be the spiritual dimension. Another is the physical dimension. So, not only are human beings subject to physical laws, but they are subject to spiritual laws as well. 

So, let's consider the law of cause & effect: Every action has a corresponding consequence. According to religion, that same law exists within the spiritual dimension as well. Laws seem to traverse dimensions. However, in that dimension it is described as "You reap what you sow."

Here's the empirical evidence: When you are kind to others, then others will be kind to you. When you are rude to others, then others will be rude to you.

Not always true though, right? So what gives? There is also another dimension that we exist in known as the mental dimension(I may have the spiritual and mental definitions of the law of cause & effect flip flopped). In the mental dimension, cause & effect becomes the law of karma. Karma is "you reap what you sow," and it is also the law of cause & effect. However, Karma exists outside of time & space. So, people may reap something later in life - this is known as cause & effect. Or, in another life(if you accept that reincarnation exists), and this is known as Karma. I can go more into depth in explaining this, but if you haven't understood or believed what I've said already, then it wouldn't do any good any ways. 

Where is the empirical evidence? That we have an effect on others around us. That's the same as physical laws. The only difference is that one effects us in ways we can't describe because - and I'm postulating here - the spiritual dimension is invisible to us. We're not entirely consciously aware of it. Yet, there is empirical evidence that it exists, or that something exists that goes beyond physical interaction.

ssrily 

So all you have is your interpretation of what you think or believe, you have not provided anything close to empirical evidence and experience is not part of empirical evidence in fact your experiences are not even necessarily connected with reality.   BTW this is pure bs, you made this up!

It also makes the claim the dimensions are different than just purely space & time. One of those dimensions is said to be the spiritual dimension. Another is the physical dimension. So, not only are human beings subject to physical laws, but they are subject to spiritual laws as well. 

So, let's consider the law of cause & effect: Every action has a corresponding consequence. According to religion, that same law exists within the spiritual dimension as well. Laws seem to traverse dimensions. However, in that dimension it is described as "You reap what you sow."

Edited by Moontanman

5 minutes ago, Juson40 said:

What part of that is not verifiable in your mind?

None of it, I've heard it all before, do you think you just coughed that up? I'll tell you one more time, you have to show there is a god first,then you have to show its your god, then you have to show evidence you know what your god says, wants, or thinks. So far you have done nothing but blurt what you think or believe to be true about a god. 

Edited by Moontanman

8 minutes ago, Juson40 said:

Where have you heard that before?

All over you tube there is many similar if not identical claims. Your claims are just baseless assertions, you do realize you need evidence for your claims... right?

31 minutes ago, Juson40 said:

lol... How much of physics is based on faith? It may very well be possible that certain things require faith to be fully comprehended.

None of it

Let me ask you this: What's physics claim regarding human interactions at a distance? Why are there emotions if everything is governed purely by physical laws? None of what physics postulates about those things makes logical sense. It can't be purely physical law. The description I wrote out above answers that question perfectly. You can even see it. You're conscious of it. Yet, physics can't describe it.

More bs

Okay though. I guess we'll agree to disagree.

No, we do not agree to disagree, you need to back up your claims

Would you happen to know where I can submit a paper to a physics journal? I have more than just these topics to share.

I wish I did but sadly I do not

Also, is it possible for people to steal others work from these forums and use it for their own journal submissions? Just curious on how much I should be sharing.

Anything is possible, except maybe you giving something besides bs as evidence

• 5 weeks later...