Science Forums

Hydrogen atmospheric ignition bomb.

Hey!

I was wondering whether this was possible. Its just something i thought so i could be completely wrong. If enough hydrogen was flushed out to a particular radius and a fission or fusion bomb was dropped starting a chain reaction, if the hydrogen was in really dense and also hot (possibly from being dense) could it start a reaction which could be considered atmospheric ignition to some extent? Or can it even be ignited. I apologize if i have not phrased this possibly, like i said its something i just thought and its particularly hard for me to frame this in a few words. 

Cheers!

Piyush. 

On 12/7/2023 at 11:45 AM, DabeeruPiyushPatnaik said:

Hey!

I was wondering whether this was possible. Its just something i thought so i could be completely wrong. If enough hydrogen was flushed out to a particular radius and a fission or fusion bomb was dropped starting a chain reaction, if the hydrogen was in really dense and also hot (possibly from being dense) could it start a reaction which could be considered atmospheric ignition to some extent? Or can it even be ignited. I apologize if i have not phrased this possibly, like i said its something i just thought and its particularly hard for me to frame this in a few words. 

Cheers!

Piyush. 

Just an opinion but I would say it is not possible, fusion takes some very special conditions to take place and your scenario isn't even close.  

On 12/7/2023 at 11:45 AM, DabeeruPiyushPatnaik said:

Hey!

Cheers!

Piyush. 

No, it doesn't work that way the nuclear material only stay critical mass for a period of time usually short period of time afterward it will not cause a chain reaction because it is not producing neutrons which are the radiation that cause the chain reaction in fissile atoms.

chain-reaction.jpg

Link = The Fission Process | MIT Nuclear Reactor Laboratory

Link = Nuclear Fission Chain Reaction | Definition | nuclear-power.com

Edited by Vmedvil