Science Forums

Herbs, medicine, cyclotides & pass the Violet Tea

Michaelangelica

http://www.cyclotide.com/discovery.html

"The cyclotides have been recognised as a family of novel circular proteins only in the last few years but the discovery of the first member of this family may be traced back to reports of native medicine applications in the early 1970s.

Kalata B1, was discovered because it is an active ingredient in a herbal medicine used by African women to assist childbirth . While on a Red Cross relief effort in the Congo region in the 1960s a Norwegian doctor, Lorents Gran, noted that during labour African women often ingested a tea made from leaves of the plant Oldenlandia affinis because of its uterotonic effects. The active ingredient was determined to be a peptide that was named kalata B1, after the local name for the native medicine. Subsequent in vivo studies in rats confirmed uterotonic activity of the purified peptide but it was not characterised as a macrocyclic peptide until some 20 year later."

Also

http://research.imb.uq.edu.au/cybase/html/modules.php?name=More_Information&page=node9.html

Michael

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/health/HealthRepublish_1591378.htm

“Humans appear to have lost what may have been a natural resistance to HIV some 7 million years when our bodies stopped producing particular kinds of protein

These circular proteins, called cyclotides

The first cyclotide discovered in mammals, RTD1, was found in rhesus monkeys and when chemically synthesised acts against HIV.

"It seems that somewhere between 7 and 10 million years ago some primates retained this mutation," Craik says.

"It's an ironic twist of fate because if it wasn't for that mutation you and I would have a gene that would produce a potent anti-HIV agent."

Cyclotides are found in herbs:

See

http://www.naturalbioskincare.com/allnaturalskincareproduct/natural.html

“Ribosome-inactivating proteins from Phytolacca americana have been reported to be active against HIV and from Saponaria officinalis to possess antineoplastic activity. Plant antimicrobial peptides comprise another large group of biologically active compounds. This group of compounds can be further subdivided into thionins, defensins, cyclotides, and lectins.

“This site is dedicated to the study of a fascinating new class of plant proteins called the Cyclotides.”

http://www.cyclotide.com/

“Cyclotides have a range of interesting biological activities including anti-HIV and neurotensin inhibition, anti-microbial activity and insecticidal activity. They are found in a variety of tropical plants from the Rubiaceae and Violaceae families.”

Does this mean that herbs with cyclotides such as Violet, Heartsease , Inkweed and Soapwort would be good for HIV?

Other herbs with cyclotides include Momordica cochinchinensis and Oldenlandia affinis (photo at http://www.cyclotide.com/discovery.html )

Anyone know what they are?

This might be an interesting article if anyone can get a copy?:

Research progress on the cyclotides from plant kingdom. DOU Hui,DI Ying-tong,DING Li-sheng(76)

Michael

“Humans appear to have lost what may have been a natural resistance to HIV some 7 million years when our bodies stopped producing particular kinds of protein

These circular proteins, called cyclotides

The first cyclotide discovered in mammals, RTD1, was found in rhesus monkeys and when chemically synthesised acts against HIV.

Cyclotides are found in herbs:

http://www.cyclotide.com/

“Cyclotides have a range of interesting biological activities including anti-HIV and neurotensin inhibition, anti-microbial activity and insecticidal activity. They are found in a variety of tropical plants from the Rubiaceae and Violaceae families.”

Does this mean that herbs with cyclotides such as Violet, Heartsease , Inkweed and Soapwort would be good for HIV?

That is cool information Michealangelica. :cup:

I think it could be an answer??

Perhaps cyclotides can disrupt the HIV enzymes protease and integrase.

Whether it could "cure" HIV or merely offer an alternative lifetime treatment is a $Multi-Billion dollar question??

HIV quickly mutates and rapidly develops resistance.

fight fire with fire>>> Protein with protein??

Plants are pretty amazing. Which is why we need to stop species from disappearing before we know what potentials they may hold.

I don't know enough about cyclotides at this time, but thanks for the links!

This is an OLD post from an OLD friend.

I'm sure he won't mind me putting it here.

It seems to have relevance given that we now know a lot more about the chemistry of Viola spp

Adam Van Wirdum <[email protected]> wrote:

>Will violets cure cancer?

>An ancient Australian herbalist thinks so. In a facinating new book

>recently published he has shown that violets have been used as an

>anti-cancer remedy for 100 years. They are especially popular in French and

>English country folklore. Documented evidence of total remission of cancer

>has existed for hundreds of years while being ignored by the modern medical

>establishment. Has this plant missed being analysed because it is too

>common? While huge corporations screen thousands of plants from the

>Rainforests of South America the answer could be sitting in their own

>corporate garden.

>Violets

>"Violets secrete a soft substance called mucilage which is useful in cases

>of ..inflammation and irritation of the stomach and intestine. In the

>official medical records there is a case of a man who cured himself of

>cancer of the throat by infusions and compresses of Violets.''

>Maurice Messague 1975

>Violets are one of the best of all blood purifying herbs. Maude Grieve and

>Maurice Messegue, two of the greatest herbalists of this century, speak

>glowingly of the humble Violet, although they are cautious in recommending

>its use for cancer.

>"Of late years, preparations of fresh Violet leaves have been used both

>internally and externally in the treatment of cancer, and though the

>British Pharmacopoeia does not uphold the treatment, it specifies how they

>are employed. From other sources it is stated that Violet leaves have been

>used with benefit to allay the pain in cancerous growths, especially in the

>throat, which no other treatment relieved, and several reputed cures have

>been recorded''

>Maude Grieve 1931

>Maude Grieve in her classic 1931 herb book "A Modern Herbal" gives specific

>instructions for making Violet tea (2 1/2 ounces fresh leaves to one pint

>of boiling water). Interestingly, Violets have a very long tradition of

>being used for cancer. Culpeper says:

> "the green leaves are used with other herbs to make plasters and poultices

>for inflammation and swellings and to ease all pain"

>Catherine Booth, the wife of the founder of the Salvation Army is said to

>have used Violet leaves to ease the pain of her advanced cancer.

>Nelson Coon mentions the case of Lady Margaret Marsham whose throat was

>closed by a malignant growth, External infusions of Violet leaves were made

>and the cancer apparently disappeared very quickly.

>"The Violet plant, as far back as 500 B.C., was used in poultice form as a

>cure for surface cancer. It was used in 18th century England for the same

>purpose. And now only months ago - a letter from a farmer in Michigan tells

>me how he used the Violet plant as a skin cancer remedy. When the remedy

>was tried on a cancerous mouse here at the Institute, we found that it did

>damage the cancer."

>Dr. J.L.Hartwell, National Cancer Institute USA. Quoted in N. Coon 1977

>There are many varieties of .i.violet ;on the market at the moment.

>Commonly "General Herricks", the large florist's violet, is sold in

>nurseries as Viola Odorata. This is not the one I recommend for helping

>treat Cancer. The small old-fashioned, mauve garden violet of grandma's

>garden(Prince of Wales) with small, pretty, fragrant, violet blue flowers

>is the one that has been used for centuries for healing. Other violets may

>works as well , but no-one has really done the necessary extensive research

>on Violet leaves for which the repeated claims over the centuries cry out.

>Violets are simplicitly themselves to take. Pick several leaves and infuse

>them in boiling water and drink. I often have Violet leaf tea when I have

>the flu. Its "nothing" flavour is strangely invigorating and "moreish".

>Perhaps my body is craving what it knows is good for it.

>Fresh Violet leaves can also be picked from the garden, torn and added to a

>salad. They are quite tasty with a dressing. "

>from "The Healing Garden" 1994 Michael Bailes and Kangaroo Press.copyright

Michael

some more info from recent medline

Isolation and characterization of novel cyclotides from Viola hederaceae: solution structure and anti-HIV activity of vhl-1, a leaf-specific expressed cyclotide.

http://www.medscape.com/medline/abstract/15824119?queryText=viola

The cumulation of Wild pansy (Viola tricolor L.) accessions: the possibility of species preservation and usage in medicine.

Medscape Newsletters

Medscape Best Evidence Key journal articles ranked for newsworthiness and clinical relevance in each specialty, linked to Medline abstracts.

Medicina (Kaunas). 2003; 39(4):411-6 (ISSN: 1010-660X)

Rimkiene S; Ragazinskiene O; Savickiene N

Kaunas Botanical Garden of Vytautas Magnus University, Lithuania. [email protected]

Wild pansy (Viola tricolor L.) has a history in folk medicine of helping respiratory problems such as bronchitis, asthma, and cold symptoms. The drugs and extracts are prepared from raw material of pansy; it is a component of some prepared antitussives, cholagogues, dermatological medicines, roborants and tonics, alternatives, and anti-phlebitis remedies. Wild pansy is indigenous to or naturalized in large parts of Europe and the Middle East as far as Central Asia, also found through the United States. In the Lithuanian flora wild pansy habitats areas have been fast reducing; this not only limits the availability of the reserves of medicinal raw materials for pharmacy and therapy needs but also causes a menace to survival of species. The reasons of reduction of natural habitats and areas of wild pansy are not only unfavorable meteorological conditions (including summer droughts) but also the competition of different herbs and irrational human activities. The opportunities of preservation of the species wild pansy need to be cultivated and the most exhaustive adaptation research should be performed.

http://www.medscape.com/medline/abstract/12738912?queryText=viola

* Phytotherapy

Antimicrobial activity of Viola tricolor herb.

Medscape Newsletters

Medscape

Fitoterapia. 2005; 76(5):458-61 (ISSN: 0367-326X)

Witkowska-Banaszczak E; Bylka W; Mat?awska I; Go?li?ska O; Muszy?ski Z

Department of Pharmacognosy, University of Medical Sciences in Pozna?, 10 Sieroca Street, 61-771 Pozna?, Poland.

The antimicrobial activity of infusion, decoction, ethanol extract and fractions obtained by successive extraction of Viola tricolor herb with dichloromethane, ethyl acetate and methanol was evaluated. The infusion, decoction and ethanol extract were found to be most effective against the tested microorganisms.

* Anti-Infective Agents [administration & dosage] [pharmacology] [therapeutic use]

* Candida albicans [drug effects]

* Gram-Negative Bacteria [drug effects]

* Gram-Positive Bacteria [drug effects]"

http://www.medscape.com/medline/abstract/15893888?queryText=viola

some very tecnical stuff here:

http://search.medscape.com/uslclient/searchMedline.do?queryText=Viola

just regular wild pansies??

My Grandma loves pansies! those are/were her favoritefor flowers around the garden...

those kind too?

(I didn't really want to register with med-scape yet.)

They like some shade, and bloom real pretty purples and blues?

Cyclotides!??

You are a great addition to this forum...:cup:

another great informative post. Mike-A. ( I need to shorten your name for reference.)

just regular wild pansies??

My Grandma loves pansies! those are/were her favoritefor flowers around the garden...

those kind too?

(I didn't really want to register with med-scape yet.)

They like some shade, and bloom real pretty purples and blues?

Cyclotides!??

You are a great addition to this forum...:) Thankyou as you can see I'm abit obsessive about some things

another great informative post. Mike-A. ( I need to shorten your name for reference.)

All pansies came from the original Heartsease (Viola tricolour) It has three colours and these are the only ones found in modern pansies (before genetic engineering)

According to the "cyclotide" buffs all Violas-the whole botanical family- contain cyclotides. Probably in the flowers and leaves of Pansy But contained in the roots of Viola hederacea (Australian Native Violet)

Chop up the pansies & put them in your salad (they have a slighty slimy texture but taste OK)

You might be interested in this post I made on heartsease to my herb discussion group

"I read an article on heartsease once in a dentist's surgery.(20 years ago)

It was facinating but I was too out-of-it after I had finished with the

dentist to steal the magazine. I have never seen the claims made about

heartsease since.

The author of the article said that heartsease contains a chemical that

"got-rid-of" or dulled painful memories.

If, for example, someone had been traumatised by a love affair, war or an

accident, heartsease would dull the painful memory and enable the person to

cope.

I note now, that there are recent advances in psychiatric drugs that do just

that- enabling traumatised people to get on with their lives.

Of course only a herb called Heartsease could have this effect!

On the same herb, Heartsease probably contains Cyclotides and may therfore

also be anti-HIV"

call me "m":)

All pansies came from the original Heartsease (Viola tricolour) It has three colours and these are the only ones found in modern pansies (before genetic engineering)

According to the "cyclotide" buffs all Violas-the whole botanical family- contain cyclotides. Probably in the flowers and leaves of Pansy But contained in the roots of Viola hederacea (Australian Native Violet)

Chop up the pansies & put them in your salad (they have a slighty slimy texture but taste OK)

call me "m":)

Ok, point #1) would the Pansies I buy at the Nursery be a natural Pansy with cyclotides? (tri-colored, from yellow center, white to purple?) or would they be genetically engineered?

Would that matter?

point #2) African Violets I grow some too, But they are not actually from the pansy family , correct??

I know more about Medicinal Herbs than I do Medicinal Flowers :)

#3) The type of pansy I want, and the type of Pansy I can buy/grow here should be viola hederacea, the Australian native?

Aren't Pansies pretty damn common and easy to grow??

YES!

I've been planting pansies for my grandma for years now in her garden...

It just seems too easy a plant/flower...:D :) Never realizing that what she thought was just pretty, had these Cyclotides in it!

WOW!!

Thanks m

Ok, point #1) would the Pansies I buy at the Nursery be a natural Pansy with cyclotides? (tri-colored, from yellow center, white to purple?)

A-Yes

When I use a medicinal herb I try to buy the oldest form-One that has not been hybridised too much eg., original pansy is Heartsease. But that is just a peccadillo? of mine. It probably does not matter

or would they be genetically engineered?

A- no one has bothered yet

Would that matter?

A-probably not. If they are 'GM-ed' it would be to harvest more cyclotides

point #2) African Violets I grow some too, But they are not actually from the pansy family , correct??

A-Yes you are correct. They are not REAL violets. Not in Viola family to my knowledge. Useless things/(I am mainly interested in plants that can be used for something!)

I know more about Medicinal Herbs than I do Medicinal Flowers :)

A um. . . same thing just some are prettier :shade:

#3) The type of pansy I want, and the type of Pansy I can buy/grow here should be viola hederacea, the Australian native?

A- More of a Violet than Viola(Don't ask!)

OZ native spreads with runners. Nice in a hanging basket. Always in flower

Aren't Pansies pretty damn common and easy to grow??

YES! heartsease self-seeds

I've been planting pansies for my grandma for years now in her garden...

It just seems too easy a plant/flower...:note2: :D Never realizing that what she thought was just pretty, had these Cyclotides in it!

Yep it is amazing

What I find especially great ( or spooky ) is when modern science supports an old traditional medicinal use of a plant. I love to see that.

How did they know 100-10,000 years ago??:)

m

PS

STILL MORE! from http://botanical.com/site/column_poudhia/publish/journal.cgi?folder=journal&next=77

Traditional medicinal knowledge about common herbs in Chhattisgarh, India. : Interactions with the Female Traditional healers of Rajnandgaon region.

The healers showed me the herb Viola betonicifolia and informed that they use the whole herb in treatment of liver related troubles. The whole herb is boiled in water and decoction is prepared. This decoction is given twice a day, internally to the patients. It is also considered as promising blood purifier. The healers further informed me that in many cases this decoction cause side effects. In such cases to nullify the harmful effects they add more herbs in it. In treatment of Tonsilitis, the healers suggest the patients to gargle with the same decoction. In treatment of fever, the Female Traditional Healers suggest the patients to take the decoction of Pippali (Piper longum) in combination with Gud (Jaggery).

(I often use Violet(odorata) leaf Tea for sore throats!)

• 1 month later...

This one is for the medicos and chemists.

Can anyone explain it to me?

J Ethnopharmacol. 2006 Mar 8;104(1-2):12-7. Epub 2005 Oct 3. Related Articles, Links

Click here to read

The effect of sativan from Viola verecunda A. GRAY on the expressions of matrix metalloproteinase-1 cause by ultraviolet irradiated cultured primary human skin fibroblasts.

Moon HI, Kim EJ, Lee J, Lee HK, Chung JH.

Department of Dermatology, Seoul National University College of Medicine and Institute of Dermatological Science, Seoul National University, Seoul 110-744, Republic of Korea. [email protected]

Matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) are a family of enzymes whose main function is degradation of the extracellular matrix.

Matrix metalloproteinase-1 (MMP-1) degrades type I procollagen constituting the major structural component of the basement membrane and extra cellular membrane. The enzymatic activity is found to be elevated in photoaging.

With the aim of finding novel MMP-1 inhibitors from natural products, 15 extracts of the Viola taxa, which are used as prescriptions for skin eruption treatment in traditional medicine, were screened for their inhibitory activities towards MMP-1.

Among the 15 tested materials, the methanol extracts of Viola hondoensis W. BECKER et H. BOISS, Viola ibukiana MAKINO, Viola lactiflora NAKAI and Viola verecunda A. GRAY were potential inhibitory to MMP-1, and other Viola taxa showed a weak inhibitory effect at a concentration of 100 microg/ml.

We investigated the effect of MMP-1 inhibitory of the solvent fractions of the same plants (Viola hondoensis, Viola ibukiana and Viola verecunda).

Therefore, a strong inhibition was found in the ethylacetate fractions of Viola verecunda with inhibitory activity (>90%) at a concentration of 10 microg/ml. Here we investigated the effect of sativan isolated from the ethylacetate fractions of Viola verecunda on the expression of MMPs in UV-irradiated human skin fibroblasts in vitro.

Sativan markedly reduced UV-induced MMP-1 expression at the protein levels in a dose-dependent manner.

Our report is the first description for the ability of sativan to regulate UV-induced MMP-1 expression.

• 3 months later...
The selective distribution reported so far raises questions about the evolution of the cyclotides within the plant kingdom.

In this study, we use a combined bioinformatics and expression analysis approach to elucidate the evolution and distribution of the cyclotides in the plant kingdom and report the discovery of related sequences widespread in the Poaceae family, including crop plants such as rice (Oryza sativa), maize (Zea mays), and wheat (Triticum aestivum), which carry considerable economic and social importance.

The presence of cyclotide-like sequences within these plants suggests that the cyclotides may be derived from an ancestral gene of great antiquity.

http://www.plantcell.org/cgi/content/abstract/18/9/2134

• 1 month later...
This one is for the medicos and chemists.

Can anyone explain it to me?

J Ethnopharmacol. 2006 Mar 8;104(1-2):12-7. Epub 2005 Oct 3. Related Articles, Links

Click here to read

The effect of sativan from Viola verecunda A. GRAY on the expressions of matrix metalloproteinase-1 cause by ultraviolet irradiated cultured primary human skin fibroblasts.

Moon HI, Kim EJ, Lee J, Lee HK, Chung JH.

Department of Dermatology, Seoul National University College of Medicine and Institute of Dermatological Science, Seoul National University, Seoul 110-744, Republic of Korea. [email protected]

Matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) are a family of enzymes whose main function is degradation of the extracellular matrix.

Matrix metalloproteinase-1 (MMP-1) degrades type I procollagen constituting the major structural component of the basement membrane and extra cellular membrane. The enzymatic activity is found to be elevated in photoaging.

With the aim of finding novel MMP-1 inhibitors from natural products, 15 extracts of the Viola taxa, which are used as prescriptions for skin eruption treatment in traditional medicine, were screened for their inhibitory activities towards MMP-1.

MMPs are used by many cells in the body, including immune cells and cancer, as "molecular scissors" to cut through basement membranes or the extracellular matrix (ECM), which underlie and hold cells into pieces of tissue. For example, cancer cells often produce high levels of MMPs to help them migrate and eventually move out of a tissue site where they are contained--a deadly part of metastasis.

If you reduce the levels of MMPs, as some anti-cancer drugs do, you can reduce the destruction of tissue or the migration of cells through the basement membrane and the tissue. Immune cells also produce MMPs to move about through tissues and to do tissue remodeling.

Among the 15 tested materials, the methanol extracts of Viola hondoensis W. BECKER et H. BOISS, Viola ibukiana MAKINO, Viola lactiflora NAKAI and Viola verecunda A. GRAY were potential inhibitory to MMP-1, and other Viola taxa showed a weak inhibitory effect at a concentration of 100 microg/ml.

We investigated the effect of MMP-1 inhibitory of the solvent fractions of the same plants (Viola hondoensis, Viola ibukiana and Viola verecunda).

Therefore, a strong inhibition was found in the ethylacetate fractions of Viola verecunda with inhibitory activity (>90%) at a concentration of 10 microg/ml. Here we investigated the effect of sativan isolated from the ethylacetate fractions of Viola verecunda on the expression of MMPs in UV-irradiated human skin fibroblasts in vitro.

Our report is the first description for the ability of sativan to regulate UV-induced MMP-1 expression.

Basically, they didn't extract many notable chemicals in the methanol solution (polar solvent). But the ethyl acetate (a nonpolar to weakly polar solvent) did, which led them to sativan, and whatever sativan is, it works to reduce MMP expression. By reducing MMP expression, they can reduce some skin damage and photoaging, making a person's skin look better.

I wonder if the anthocyanins in violets might contribute some anti-viral or anti-bacterial effects as well. Anthocyanins are a common family of chemicals that give many flowers and fruits, such as apples, plums, blueberries, etc., their stunning colors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthocyanin

They're part of a larger group of chemicals called flavonoids, which are in everything from tea to cocoa, and have antioxidant, anti-disease, or other effects.

I wonder if the anthocyanins in violets might contribute some anti-viral or anti-bacterial effects as well. Anthocyanins are a common family of chemicals that give many flowers and fruits, such as apples, plums, blueberries, etc., their stunning colors.

s.

From Dr Duke's data base

Dr. Duke's

Phytochemical and Ethnobotanical Databases

Biological Activities of ANTHOCYANINS

Antiarthritic; 120 mg/man orl; BOI;

Anticancer; 120 mg/man orl; BOI;

Anticollegenase; BOI;

Antielastase; FT66(4):302;

Antimutagenic; EJN238:227;

Antimyopic; 600 mg/man orl; AFR27:189;

Antinyctalopic; 600 mg/man orl; AFR27:189;

Antioxidant; FT66(4):302;

Antitumor; 120 mg/man orl; BOI;

Antiviral; PMP23:58;

Goitrogenic; AFR27:188;

Hemostat; JE26:80;

NO-Scavenger; JMF4:201;

Pesticide;

Vasoactive; FT66(4):302;

Vasodilator; JAFC48:220;

Sat Oct 28 23:59:09 EDT 2006

Please send questions and comments to:

James A. Duke

Green Farmacy Garden

8210 Murphy Road

Fulton, MD 20759

• 1 month later...

This is a nice article on violets;

http://homeboynet.wordpress.com/2006/12/03/plant-of-the-week-violets/

although it confuses Heartsease(Viola tricolor) Johnny Jump up and Tickle my Fancy(I kid you not) with violets.

The reported cases on cancer are correct, (although I vaguely remember more to the stories) too

Lady Margaret Marsham was cured of epithelioma, a cancer of the tonsils, with violet leaf tea. The wife of General Booth, the founder of the Salvation Army, found relief from pain, when in the final stages of throat cancer, by drinking the tea.

Although this was news to me

the physicians of the school of Aesclepios used violet leaves to treat topical cancers.

http://homeboynet.wordpress.com/2006/12/03/plant-of-the-week-violets/