Science Forums

X chromsome inactivation

Bio-Hazard

I've been trying to understand X inactivation; I haven't been able to figure it out.

From what I think I understand, X inactivation has to do with repressing an allele that gives out a certain phenotype.

What I don't understand is how calico cats have different colors of fur.

I was reading part of wikipedia and I'm assuming this explains why both genes are expressed in calico cats.

Expressed genes on the inactive X chromosome

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-inactivation

During cell differentiation, some cells activate the allele that was packed away?

I've been trying to understand X inactivation; I haven't been able to figure it out.

From what I think I understand, X inactivation has to do with repressing an allele that gives out a certain phenotype.

What I don't understand is how calico cats have different colors of fur.

I was reading part of wikipedia and I'm assuming this explains why both genes are expressed in calico cats.

Expressed genes on the inactive X chromosome

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-inactivation

During cell differentiation, some cells activate the allele that was packed away?

good question!!!! I am not sure! I always thought the reason calico cats were different colours was because of recessive genes, or becuase of incomplete dominace and codominace. I never considered X-inactivation!!!! Looks like I got some research to do! =)