Science Forums

Altered state of consciousness

zee

I've found that the best altered state I've ever experianced is when I'm so intensely focused on one thing that everything else fades into nothing. Be it programming, playing games/sports, driving, whatever it is, the sensation of a complete loss of time coupled with the way that my mind just becomes able to see the solutions without really having to think about them is an incredible feeling.

I've found that the best altered state is when I'm so intensely focused on one thing that everything else fades into nothing.

I call that "Flow" or "In The Zone" :xx:

Occurs

When I'm doing Kung-Fu, or Basketball, or Mountain Biking, usually something active...Sometimes after Reading.

When I'm in Tiger Form,..... Its usually "look the F out!" :eek:

Sometimes I go into Music Mode,

Like Orby

I'm sure.... :note: :note: :hyper: :note: :) :)

To Reiterate

Nothing Natural should be Illegal :)

Sometimes I go into Music Mode

Yeah, I used to write a little and play a little (neither very well) and I know what you mean. Playing music is amazing - it uses so much of your brain that you have no real choice but to stop thinking and start playing! I used to try to explain to people how many different things you needed to think about while performing - the worst was marching band. You needed to remember the music, play the music, be aware of your tone, intonation, pitch, rhythm, dynamics, articulations, tempo, and how that all fit into the band's sound (which means you need to listen to everybody else and be aware of it) and you need to think about body position(feet, legs, torso, arms, and head), instrument position, body movement, how you fit into the shape, and keep that in time with the music. And all of that has to be instantaneous :)

I used to love marching band, because you really could lose your individuality for a while and become a part of something much greater than yourself. :xx: