Science Forums

Paint, Wood Resonance

Queso

Ok So I want to paint my acoustic guitar.

What kind of paint should I use without killing the resonance of the guitar itself?

Or...does all paint kill the resonance? I know stickers do, and anything else that touches the outside of the guitar.

So what kind of knowledge can you humans gimme?

Lots of 'it depends'. The largest acoustic effect is derived from the shape of the guitar, not the finish. I expect a soft flexible paint may dampen the resonance of the sound of percussing the body, where a hard brittle paint may not. Depends on how thick you lay it on as well.

Whatever the case, expect the paint to change the look of it.:eek2:

I looked into this some when I went to refinish the fender, before I got the les paul. I just asked the people I was working with at the studio, and the everyone told me to avoid paints, to just stain it, and use as little clear as I think I can get away with.

Not sure though... I googled and this looked good: http://edenhaus.com/Paint%20Shop.htm

I'll keep looking around, if I find any really good information regarding guitar paints/painting procedure I'll post it up.

Good luck! That thing needs some love!

I looked into this some when I went to refinish the fender, before I got the les paul. I just asked the people I was working with at the studio, and the everyone told me to avoid paints, to just stain it, and use as little clear as I think I can get away with.

Not sure though... I googled and this looked good: http://edenhaus.com/Paint%20Shop.htm

Good luck! That thing needs some love!

The link seems only to reference electric guitar bodies & Orby said it's an acoustic guitar.

I know a lot is made of the varnish on violins in regard to their tone, but I never heard any such talk about acoustic guitars. Off to search 'acoustic guitar finishes'.:lol:

Edit add link:

http://www.guitarseminars.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/013208.html

I've had success using tung oil on drums .It's a natural non-toxic finish that is easy to apply,has a lovely satin look and doesn't choke the sound of the drum like some lacquer finishes do, imo.Carvin is one guitar company that uses this finish.If tone is your goal,it might be worth checking out.Durability and feel may be issues,but what would a drummer know about feel?

Ed