Science Forums

Shuttle Explosion Email Hoax

Thetechound

Yes. On the basis that ignorance of the masses leads to masses of ignorance.

Most people are ignorant about almost everything almost all the time. Why is information about the way Columbia disintegrated something that will help improve society?

The fact that there are pictures makes it wrong..

These aren't exactly what I'd call life-like. They are obviously computer generated.

Anyway, I fail to see how this is a "hoax" of any kind. It is spreading of false information, but it is not denying anything.

Most people are ignorant about almost everything almost all the time. Why is information about the way Columbia disintegrated something that will help improve society?
Ignorance may be classified in two ways:

1) Ignorance of facts.

2) Ignorance of process.

Ignorance of known facts can be addressed through education and study; unknown facts through investigation and research. Such ignorance is not of itself generally an issue. One could argue that it is the recognition of such ignorance and the consequent efforts to remove it that form the foundation of our society.

Ignorance of process is another matter. This ignorance leads to superstition, prejudice, myopia, and a host of isms. Ignorance of process undermines civilisation.

The ignorance in the case of the Columbia is one of process, not of facts. It is a failure to understand how things (science, politics, the world) work. Removal of such ignorance will always improve society.

These aren't exactly what I'd call life-like. They are obviously computer generated.

Anyway, I fail to see how this is a "hoax" of any kind. It is spreading of false information, but it is not denying anything.

It's denying a whole chunk of reality, if that counts. Also, I think it's important that people are not being lied to. Ignorance and beliefs in that which is not true can't lead to anything good. This is a relatively small example compared to the widespread superstitious and religious beliefs, and the beliefs in astrology and other kinds of pseudoscience, but the fact is that the people is being intentionally misled once again. It's not fair play considering how many know very little about so much, and so are vulnerable to this. But I do agree it's one small hoax, compared to some others.