Science Forums

Informed opinions, please.

ughaibu

Thanks. Does this mean that his maths is clearly incorrect or does it look suspect but for no obvious reason?
The terms used in http://hometown.aol.com/crebigsol/section1A.html are poorly explained. Even without explanation, it appears to me that the author (Rebigsol) uses the term x in the first equation in “Eq. set A” as a constant for initial position relative to a stationary observer, and the position of a point moving at the speed of light © in the preceeding text and the 3rd equation. If so, “Eq. A-1”, though algebraically correct, is nonsensical.

In physical terms, the author appears to be attempting to find inconsistency in the predictions of Special Relativity in a system of 2 inertial frames with a relative velocity of c. In common metaphoric terms, he is asking what an observer would see of people moving around on a train moving at the speed of light. In particle physics terms, this is equivalent to asserting that particles moving at c, which can only be bosons, interact according to a statistic such as the Pauli exclusion principle. In mathematical terms, he is measuring infinitesimals ((1-v^2)^.5 as v approaches 1). In either kind terms, he is basing his arguments against the mathematical consistency of Special Relativity on an occurrence that is theoretically impossible.

Although I believe his paper can be convincingly refuted, I have not intention of challenging the author, for fear of entering into a weird and disturbing dialog. I mistrust that he is prepared to have judged and awarded the cash prize he cites in legally legitimate manner.

In particle physics terms, this is equivalent to asserting that particles moving at c, which can only be bosons, interact according to a statistic such as the Pauli exclusion principle.
To move at c they must be massless, they don't need to be bosons.

Alright, enough nitpicking.... :D