Science Forums

Which OS is more usefull?

linux has much more software then windows

Perhaps I should modify my statement then. Windows has more software availible at local stores, where most people think to buy it. If you have Microsoft Windows, you can go to any large computer store and nearly all of their PC products will be for Windows. Maybe there is more software for Linux, although I don't know how you'd measure, but the average user will have an easier time buying software for Windows than getting software for Linux.

Perhaps I should modify my statement then. Windows has more software availible at local stores, where most people think to buy it. If you have Microsoft Windows, you can go to any large computer store and nearly all of their PC products will be for Windows. Maybe there is more software for Linux, although I don't know how you'd measure, but the average user will have an easier time buying software for Windows than getting software for Linux.

That is because you use windows and dont understand the Open-Source software distribution model methodology.

The reason that O-S software is not distributed on CD's (mostly, vmware is probably one of the very few examples, and that is only on cd's for expos and such) is because, by the time that some perticular version hits the shelves (and it takes time), a new version will probably be out, that will fix and enhance the old one, provide new capabilities, fix security flaws and so forth. The development cycle of the O-S soft is twitched in such a manner, that a version is not just 1 or 2, not even 1.1 or 1.2, the speed of development allows nix-based software versions to go something like 1.2.1-r(release)1, 1.2.1-r2 and so forth. Even though you dont realize it, dave, you have to spend more time looking for software for windows then i have in linux, you have to go to a local computer store and buy the cd, if the soft is not available, you have to buy it from somewhere and get it shipped to your house, i have over 8000 packages available to me at a touch of a finger tip (for example ubuntu, has a gui package manager that allows you to find and install software, as long as you have a network connection (my case is a bit different, cuz i run a from-source distro, hence i get code and it gets compiled in order for me to use the new soft))