Science Forums

Life without TV.

Rebiu

I have no cable coming into my house. I have a TV but it is only for movies. I have taped episode of kid programs and for the PS2. I think TV has the single greatest negative impact on society and would not have it for that reason. My biggest complaint with television is the human inclination to watch something just because it is on now. I grew up without television and wanted to raise my kids the same.

Does anyone want to defend television?

As a child I prefered to be out playing in the woods, creeks, the lake and biking to watching TV. It wasn't untill I started working that TV finally sucked me in (so hard to find the energy to be out and about).

Most of what's on anymore is garbage with few exceptions.

Personally I wish my kids would turn off the damn thing off and find productive uses for their time like actually doing anything but watching that damn box!!

(or at least watch something educational)

When did programing become so mindless? Every show they watch is geared to persons with the attention span of a fly and a 30 IQ!

I'd like to shove Nik & the disney channel back up the deriers from whence they came!!!!!!!!! Also fox, WB, etc.

Does anyone want to defend television?

___Yes, I do. You say yourself the problem is people not turning it off. Moreover the problem is compounded by what is tuned in when TV is on. I don't have cable, although housemates do & I watch 'good' shows when possible.

___On my little rabbit-eared 13" magic box I watch mostly PBS, news, sports, & some sit-coms. I am not slaved to TV any more than my dictionary, my carving chisel, or any other tool I have.

___When I was little, it was a radio in the living room delivering much the same service save no pictures. Listening to some radio & watching some TV provides opportunities to get in touch with the world & stay informed.

___Yes, I defend TV.:eek:

PS As with most topics, Buckminster Fuller has some TV perspectives:

801.20 The Omnidirectional TV Set

801.21 Children looking at TV today look at it quite differently from the way it was to the first generation of TV adults. It begins to be very much a part of the child's life, and he tends to accredit it the way adults accredit what they get from their eyes. When children are looking at a baseball game, they are right there in the field. All of our vision operates as an omnidirectional TV set, and there is no way to escape it. That is all we have ever lived in. We have all been in omnidirectional TV sets all our lives, and we have gotten so accustomed to the reliability of the information that we have, in effect, projected ourselves into the field. We may insist that we see each other out in the field. But all vision actually operates inside the brain in organic, neuron-transistored TV sets.

http://www.rwgrayprojects.com/synergetics/s08/p0000.html#801.20

___Yes, I do. You say yourself the problem is people not turning it off. Moreover the problem is compounded by what is tuned in when TV is on. I don't have cable, although housemates do & I watch 'good' shows when possible.
Yes but so ofter when you have time to watch there is nothing worth seeing.

___On my little rabbit-eared 13" magic box I watch mostly PBS, news, sports, & some sit-coms. I am not slaved to TV any more than my dictionary, my carving chisel, or any other tool I have.

I see your point

___When I was little, it was a radio in the living room delivering much the same service save no pictures. Listening to some radio & watching some TV provides opportunities to get in touch with the world & stay informed.

I agree with you

Most TV programming is a waste of time. That fact does not make TV bad. What does is the TV schedule or the idea that what you want to see must be watched at a time not of your choosing. The second issue is the outrageous prices. Tivo, VCRs and other technologies lessen this but it is a hassle and I would much rather have my broadband over TV because everything can be experienced on my schedule.

TV in and of itself is not evil though its effects can be.

Aaaaaaaaaah...Good ol radio.....I still always have one with or near me.

(Oh BLEEEP!! I'm a slave to music!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I like the radio as well. The nice thing about it is you can still be doing something while you listen. I also listen to books on tape.

some television is fun sometimes.

Othertimes, like most, it tells everybody what to think.

I have a tv, but it just sits there.

No cable, but I know how to get free cable if i wanted it,

Which i don't.

I'm going to end up throwing that television down a very steep road about a mile from where I live.

I enjoy.

we are all so strange,

Now if i were to watch TV

i would watch comedy central, or BET jazz,

or IFC (independent film channel)

I would scan thru all the movie channels and get hooked on anything that is visually stimulating.

Science channel is always fun,

discovery, history, cartoon network sometimes.

I havn't watched TV since yesterday when I was at my friends house,

before that it was about 2 weeks

and before that about two months.

Television gets weirder every time I watch it.