Science Forums

Atomic airplane.

Rebiu

I watched a program on nuclear airplanes the other day. I says the Russian flew one 40 times but the crew died prematurely of radiation and in spewed nuclear pollution in its wake. I seems the US even had a plan for a supersonic nuclear ramjet cruise missile.

The technology was applied to space base reactors.

If nuclear power is coupled to electric propulsion and atmospheric jets can a vehicle capable of flying into space without the vast fuel requirements be built?

• 2 weeks later...

Look, interesting concept. But here is the catch, we need more information. Here is a potential equation (Energy output of reactor in kilograms per square centimeter - weight of fuel - weight of ship - weight of cargo) = thrust. I think, so here are my questions:

1) What type of fuel is it going to be?

2) What type of reactor?

3) How much energy should you aim for in a reactor?

4) How in the world would you make it safe? I mean it is onething to discuss this but how would you feel if it was a real, if slim, possibility that a space vehicle could spill radiation over your home town in a freak accident?

It is one thing to discuss this, but a reactor requires decent chunks of material (lots of water to keep the fuel cool, for example) to keep the darn thing from going ballistic (pardon the pun) on you.