Science Forums

Day After Tomorrow Movie questions

redXI

I watched this film at my friend's house yesterday and I came up with a few questions. Here they are.

At the beginning of the Day after tomorrow movie, the main character is in New Delhi, he challenges the vice president to better care for the 'fragile environment.'

1. Why it is necessary to have international gatherings to discuss the environment??

2. What is the vice president's response? Is his response justified??(I've been thinking about this)

:hihi:

• 3 weeks later...
1. Why it is necessary to have international gatherings to discuss the environment??

2. What is the vice president's response? Is his response justified??(I've been thinking about this)

:eek2:

1. It adds validity to the premise that there is a problem. If just a few were complaining in the US, it wouldn't garner much attention. Now add the leaders of many other countries, walla, conciseness. Must be true.

2. Actually his response, if I recall correctly, wasn't to far off. The Kyoto (sp) thing wasn't much more than an effort to level the playing field. It socked the US with all kinds of pollution limits (imposing a financial burden on US industry) while excluding those countries who currently don't follow them anyway. China being the big one.

While I enjoyed it as a movie, the big picture, was nothing more than poor propaganda. The thing that stuck out to me was they went to great lengths to explain how we (human race) caused the "new" ice age. Used fairly common knowledge events (explain how a mammoth could freeze instantly) to add validity. Made guilt ridden statements like "we must learn from our mistakes", but spent absolutely no time explaining what caused the last one when we puny humans were still wearing skins and throwing spears.

Personally I believe there are only a few things that can cause a cataclysmic event. Short or long term. Anything to do with the sun, or external force (i.e. asteroid, comet, moon). I base this on the fact that just about any major volcanic eruption in history put out more pollution in one day than we ever have in how ever many thousands of years man has walked on two legs. If you count them up we are in what the .00? percentage range. My money is on this old earth taking herself out long before we do. However, more than likely an external force will get her first. Sit back and enjoy the ride.