Science Forums

Mercury next

Tormod

Yes. so am I. Especially for 2 related reasons (which will drag us off topic!)

1) Dubya's proclamation that we will pursue space travel (at the expense of such things as the Hubble)

2) therefore any news of such helps him stear the media from reporting FACTS that show how much he is destroying the country and the world.

• 3 weeks later...

Why Mercury? Is there something we need on Mercury? I understand the wonderful impact space travel has had on our lives (Tang jumps to mind), but it's occurred to me that we should be spending some money looking for things that might in fact benefit society as a whole (a search for an educated electorate perhaps?). What do you think?

I think money spent to further our understanding of our solar system, universe,.....is money well spent. I do think there are pressing terrestrial issues that are severely underfunded, however, money taken from space research/exploration will likely not be directed to any more worthwhile causes. I would rather my tax dollars be spent going to Mercury than some pork barrel project in West Virginia or to pay the legal expenses of Roy Moore wanting to display his ten commandments monument in what was his Alabama courthouse.

Originally posted by: nemo

Why Mercury? Is there something we need on Mercury? I understand the wonderful impact space travel has had on our lives (Tang jumps to mind), but it's occurred to me that we should be spending some money looking for things that might in fact benefit society as a whole (a search for an educated electorate perhaps?). What do you think?

Planetary exploration is (in my eyes) extremely important in order to understand our own planet. Mercury is a planet with a lot of strange things - like its magnetic field, incredible heat, and possible liquid outer core.

The terrestrial planets (ie, the rocky planet: Mercury, Mars, Earth, and Venus) have a lot in common yet they are completely different! By studying them we learn more about the Earth.

And don't forget that money spent on space exploration does not end up in space - it creates lots of jobs in several industries!

• 2 months later...