Science Forums

Material that fits my needs

TheQuietWarlock

Hullo,

I was wondering if anyone here knew of a material that was relativily inexpensive, possible to be bought by civilians. It would be able to withstand temperatures of about a firework/cracker/smoke grenade. Specifically one of these: http://www.evhill.com/products/White_Smoke.htm

But not o nly withstand the temperatures, but not be able to transfer it. The reason I need such a material, is that our wargames call for smoke alot of times, but we simply cannot provide it due to living in Texas, and have unusually dry land 99% of the time. If we could have a container for the smoke, and drill holes to let the smoke out, but keep the head in, and not burn our field, that would be great.

I don't think those white smoke candles produce enough heat to cause a prairie-fire, but i can't say for shure...looks like you can just drop them in a bucket of water.

"When exposed to moisture in the air, titanium tetrachloride reacts exothermically to form smoke containing small quantities of hydrogen chloride, titanium oxychloride and titanium oxides....Any moisture that comes in contact with the chemical will cause the liberation of smoke as noted above.

if not, I'd say you could just float a glass/pan/whatever in a larger bucket half-full of water, the charge would remain in the 'floating' container to release smoke while most of the heat wouldbe absorbed into the water it's floating on. Another option is to use a thermos with the lid off; you may need to add a bit of pipeing for airflow, I'd sugggest coper piping in an inverted "U" shape put in beside the charge for this purpose.

• 2 weeks later...
Hullo,

I was wondering if anyone here knew of a material that was relativily inexpensive, possible to be bought by civilians. It would be able to withstand temperatures of about a firework/cracker/smoke grenade. Specifically one of these: http://www.evhill.com/products/White_Smoke.htm

But not o nly withstand the temperatures, but not be able to transfer it. The reason I need such a material, is that our wargames call for smoke alot of times, but we simply cannot provide it due to living in Texas, and have unusually dry land 99% of the time. If we could have a container for the smoke, and drill holes to let the smoke out, but keep the head in, and not burn our field, that would be great.

If the heat is real low you could fabricate something out of plastic pipe and ends.

If not that then perhaps iron pipe and fittings.

If it gets hotter than that I use ceramic fiber blanket in my glass blowing studio. i believe its make temp is 2,200 F. Most refractory suppliers sell a high temp concrete. It will need to be cured up to about 2,400 F with a slow increase in temp. You might even be able to find the ceramic blanket for free if you find a company that builds large furnaces, boilers ect, if not they can tell you their supplier. You can line a metal container with the ceramic blanket. If that is not good enough you cand pour a lining of high temp concrete to line that.

You could buy firebrick at the local concrete block supply place and fabricate what you need from it. You can drill holes though it with a masonry bit and run threaded rod through with washers and nuts on the end to hold it together but it will be very heavy.

If the heat is real low you could fabricate something out of plastic pipe and ends.

If not that then perhaps iron pipe and fittings.