Science Forums

Faking it

TheBigDog

This is a notion that has always amused me. What would you have to do to fake a UFO? Once the fake is done, it becomes a social experiment in people's perceptions. What will people think they saw? What will the stories turn into? Would your method be identified? Could you do it so well that even if you exposed your methods there would be people who claimed that you were lying, and what they saw was real? How would you do it?

My idea would be to use kites trailed behind a boat out on Lake Erie. There would be lighting on the kites that I could remotely switch from one kite to another. This would give the illusion of jumping about, or a formation, or whatever I want it to be. Done at night nobody would see the boat or the lines, just the moving jumping lights over the lake. I would do it offshore from the nuclear power plant to make it more diabolical. And I would do it during the time of year when I know that there would be people along the shore to witness the event. I would have someone videotape from the shore just to be certain that the event was documented.

How would you do it?

Bill

You tease. I thought I was going to be able to come into this thread and start talking about orgasms again. UFOs? Gosh... :hyper:

Faking a UFO... I'd gather the largest possible group of dumb and manipulatable people into one setting and show them some really neat science experiment after they'd been drinking for entirely too long. I'd then get up in front of them and explain how their dizziness and confusion was actually caused by the aliens... :eek:

Tease... :)

:shrug:

• 2 weeks later...

the real problem wouldnt be making the ufo, it would be making the movement realistic. if you wanted to make it a sighting so people in the area see it, thats a classic job of helium balloons with silver wrapping paper on them :naughty: . if u wanted to make a video just use graphic programs i guess. i saw a show on it once, and they spent a load of making this radio controlled ufo that shot across the sky, it ended up crashing and being founded by some local settlers.

I want people to witness it and have no idea why it is happening (UFO). I want to see if anyone can ever detect the method, and what types of outlandish explanations surface in the process (Phoenix Lights). I want people to be so set in their ideas about what the significance of the event is that even after I expose in no uncertain terms that I was the source behind the whole thing they will call me a liar (Crop Circles).

That would be cool!

Bill

My idea would be to use kites trailed behind a boat out on Lake Erie. There would be lighting on the kites that I could remotely switch from one kite to another. This would give the illusion of jumping about, or a formation, or whatever I want it to be. Done at night nobody would see the boat or the lines, just the moving jumping lights over the lake. I would do it offshore from the nuclear power plant to make it more diabolical. And I would do it during the time of year when I know that there would be people along the shore to witness the event. I would have someone videotape from the shore just to be certain that the event was documented.

How would you do it?

Bill

___If I would do it, I would do it not only like you say Bill, but with you. The visualization I have is stunning to say the leasty.

___Now the problem part(s). As amusing as it may sound in theory (and it sounds hella funny:hyper: ), in practice a lot of people will get plenty p-o'ed if they ever find out it was a hoax. Clogging 911, auto accidents, emergency service callouts, jets scrambled, media descending, disturbence causing, come-with-us-boys kinda chaos.

___Of course if we don't tell anyone...:)