Science Forums

Rotating a smal disk magnet above a large square magnet

labview1958

"dc" sine curve? meaning it goes from force to no force to the same force?

Don't you mean AC(alternating current) where the force goes from positive to nothing to negative?

If the latter it's because the poles of the magnet each are toa different side and youre alligning and disallinging them as you turn it.

If the former and you've got the poles as aligned as you can guess at, my guess would be that one or both have a just ever so slightly tilted magnetic pole from their symmatry point.

Hope that helps, but maby you could explain your experiment a bit more: how are you measuring, what's your exact setup, materials?

I have placed the large square magnet on the pan of a weighing machine accurate to 0.0001g. The small disc magnet is attached to a actuator/stepper motor and rotated in steps for a full turn(48 steps). The sm all disc magnet is about 2 cm above the centre of the large square magnet. For like poles(repulsion) the amplitude is lower than for unlike poles(attractive).

I have placed the large square magnet on the pan of a weighing machine accurate to 0.0001g. The small disc magnet is attached to a actuator/stepper motor and rotated in steps for a full turn(48 steps). The sm all disc magnet is about 2 cm above the centre of the large square magnet. For like poles(repulsion) the amplitude is lower than for unlike poles(attractive).

How much does the large magnet weigh without the other apparatus nearby? That value is the zero in your force fluctuation, not the zero of the scale.

• 1 month later...