Science Forums

Bi-national Olympic bid 2016...HUH?

IrishEyes

In the spirit of the ongoing Games, I was surfing around looking to see where I could take the fam to see the Games in the future. (We've decided to hit London in 2012. Should be a blast.)

I found this site http://www.tjsd.org

It is a site that describes the bid of the Tijuana/San Diego area for the 2016 Olympics. The site is very interesting, and has some useful information. I LOVE the logo: uno/one.

However, I'm wondering if you guys think that a bi-national Games is really feasible. Besides the security issues, which can only be described as a total challenge, what would having two host countries do to the spirit of the Games? How would that really work? I mean, think about the practicalies... would they march out in the Opening Ceremonies together? Which country's flag would be raised? Which anthem sung? If both, which would be first? Would this cause more animosity than unity?

Frankly, I love the idea. I think that most of the issues could be worked out, but I'm glad I'm not the one working them. But I think it has more to do, for me, with the impact that the Games would have on that area. I really enjoyed my time in SanD and in Tj. I think that the athletes, the spectators, and the world would greatly benefit from this type of venture. And it might encourage other areas that share a border to work towards this same type of goal in the future. Can you imagine some of the countries that could host a bi-national Games?

As I'm putting this in Social Sciences, I want to know what impact you guys think the Games have on the host city before, during, and after the torch is there. Is it worth it to spend the millions (literally near $20 mill for some) on trying to get the Games, or would that money be better spent improving the area? What does a host city really get from having the Games? Any of you ever lived in one of the host cities? (I know for a fact that one of you does, and I really want to know if you think your area benefitted from the Games.)

As I'm putting this in Social Sciences, I want to know what impact you guys think the Games have on the host city before, during, and after the torch is there. Is it worth it to spend the millions (literally near $20 mill for some) on trying to get the Games, or would that money be better spent improving the area? What does a host city really get from having the Games? Any of you ever lived in one of the host cities? (I know for a fact that one of you does, and I really want to know if you think your area benefitted from the Games.)

I lived in Salt Lake City during the 2002 Games and I must say that the effort to prepare for the games vastly improved the area. They completely revamped the freeway system, tore down or restored a lot of the crappy falling down buildings, expanded access to all the nearby ski resorts, expanded and reorganized the mass transit system, cleaned up the city, and built several new venues that are still in use today. SLC's bid to host the games definately paid off.

Thats my opinion anyway...

As far as TJSD goes... ;) I don't think it will work. It would be cool if it could, but I doub't the IOC will go for it. I ready to be surprised though. If it does end up happening, I'll definately go.