Science Forums

Negative integers

tarak

I am not a math or physics kind of person ,but I have a general doubts on the nature and origin of negative integers and the knowledge about different negative entities...

We have number sytem (Natural,real,rational,complex etc..) classification.We have "imaginary numbers" that are created to answer for the square root of -1.The addition of negative numbers to natural numbers leads to integers.

Now all these natural numbers represent "what is" or "what exists" and so we start counting their presence and absence(non-existence-zero),Then should we consider that all the negative integers are "imagined" in the light of their creation???Does negative exist at all or does it exist only to balance the positive or created on removal of the positive like credit-debit situation??

In light of the origin of negative integers what is the logical basis of existence of negative entities,say fundamental particles,electrical charges, anti matter??? Hope you understood what I meant ??

In light of the origin of negative integers what is the logical basis of existence of negative entities,say fundamental particles,electrical charges, anti matter??? Hope you understood what I meant ??

These negatives are not the same thing they are just used to illistrate that they are 2 opposites of each other, they have nothing to do with negative numbers as far as my learning goes.

F is proportional to Q1*Q2/d^2

where Q1 and Q2 are the two charges. F is the electro-magentic force between the charges. if Q1 and Q2 are either both negative or positive then the FOrce is the same!. Yet if one is negative then the force is in an opposite direction.

Just a thought though I am not to sure if a negative charge actually has a negative value.

Just a thought though I am not to sure if a negative charge actually has a negative value.
It was Bejamin Franklin that chose it to be negative. He could have chosen the other way around.

JQ, if I have 5 tins of beer but I owe you 12 of them, my total is -7. To me, my debt is a negative number but it counts as positive to you. The same would apply for litres of beer as for tins although these aren't integers.

there is no particular reason for any mathematical object to have any correspondance to nature at al, although often it does. in nature, you can add an electron and an anti-electron and get no electrons, although energy is conserved, now appearing as photons, but whether an abstraction, such as a circle, actually exists in nature seems less certain.

True Snark, I'd say that many real things can be described by some mathematical construct.

In good conditions, a small dense ball in orbit follows a perfectly eliptical (perhaps circular) path. The elipse in a sense exists, but isn't an object, only a description of the ball's motion. I'd put that somewhere between nature and our understanding of it.