Science Forums

I, Robot

GAHD

Yeah i know 'I Robot' and 'I, Robot' are two different stories, but they do have some correlations from what I can see.

Who's planning on seeing the movie? Who's read the book?

The creation of humanoid robots, and those same robots deciding to take controll seems to be relativly common theme in sci-fi. The thought of our gadgets surpassing us and turning against us is seems to be a deeply ingrained fear in sociaty. Even anime has more than a few thoughts about it, 'Artimage III' and 'Ghost in the Shell' seem to be good examples.

What are your thoughts on robots? Should we 'own' them, or should we strive to create them as individuals unto themselves? What if we own them and they become individuals?

Well, I'm gonna see it, even though I am a little tired of all the Will Smith lines like "Aww hell no!", but the robots seem to be graphically enhanced enough for me to check it out.

But, as for robots, they probably could eventually take over the world, like... what was that movie... terminator? yea... But, its a little out there. And, we should "own" them, but not in mass numbers, for the reason that they could gang up and kill us all. And, we should purposely not put everything into them, and make them slightly less advanced than our technology, so we would have something over them.

Some years ago I read every single robot story Isaac Asimov ever wrote, including short stories and novels. I saw the trailer for the movie and couldn't recognize Asimov in it (apart from the three laws of robotics) but I might have forgotten a lot of what I read...I have a shelf full of Asimov's books so maybe I'll read up a bit before I go see the movie.

Tormod

• 2 weeks later...

I'm afraid that 'I, Robot' might just be the next 'Battlefield Earth'. I hope not.

Anyway, when I was younger I was horrified by the idea of creating intelligent machines. Maybe it was the Terminator films that fueled that fear. Probably. I watched them way too much. So anyway I had some strong beliefs about robots. I was so scared that robots would rebel against humanity.

Now I think that if the necessary precautions were taken there would be no problem.

What? The reviewers must have been smoking some serious crack because I loved the movie. I won't post any spoilers, but I will say I love what they did with the three laws (similar to what Asimov himself envisioned). The action was good but not overdone. There was no 'token love interest', Several well placed red herrings, and an ending that screams Robots of Dawn.

I just saw it, and it was very good. Yea the high point was the CG, but that WAS the movie. What would movie goers do without computers? I don't think you want to see a guy in a foil suit claiming to be a robot, but, there are some odd people in the world...

*was gonna add something here, but then decided not to upset the people who go to movies for the plots... lol*

Originally posted by: GAHD

Danm. I didn't know it was available in I-Max quality film.

I believe they do use a 70mm fr this screen. But is not as anamorphic as I-Max. They just use a really big screen and complete THX certified construction, including floor isolated from the rest of the building so you do not get any sound from cars outside, specially designed air handling for extremely low noise floor...

Saw I Robot yesterday there! WOW!

LOVED the movie, but I have been an Asimov fan for many years. It's been a long time since I read the book. Longer than some of you have been alive.... But it seemed to ring fairly true to what little I do remember. Fortunately it had been long enough that I still enjoyed the twists!

My sons have enjoyed it a lot also. Both said "even though it had Will Smith in it". Everyones a critic!

If a robot was an intelligent individual would it be considered inanimate or animate? Would it be considered inanimate because it is a mechanical construct? Or would it be animate because of its individuality and awareness? If an island was inhabited only by robots would it be considered uninhabited or inhabited by robots?

Originally posted by: Panda

If a robot was an intelligent individual would it be considered inanimate or animate?

Simple question!

Er...

Um....

OK, not so simple... :-)

The problem with trying to answer this question is figuring out what "intellegence" is. And then to define "animate".

One of the big questions, as computers become increasingly more complicated, "is there a point at which a computer becomes self aware?" Or can we say that no matter how powerful a computer becomes, it can not achieve independant thought. Or for that matter can we truly claim that humans are capable of true "independant thought"? Is it just a matter of processing power or is there something more required?