Science Forums

The sum of all numbers

TIDUSGIYA

Pick any number from 10 upwards. and do this Sum.

My Number is 138....

SUM

1 + 3 + 8 = 12

138 - 12 = 126 = 1 + 2 + 6 = 9

126 - 9 = 117 = 1 + 1 + 7 = 9

117 - 9 = 108 = 1 + 0 + 8 = 9

Keep On doing this untill you Can not take away.

Whats the pattern and are there any other sums similar to this one that can break the pattern of 9 being the the Sum answer.

example....138 = 8 - 3 - 1 = 4. 138 - 4 = 134 = 4 - 3 - 1 = 0.

or

187 = 7 + 8 - 1 = 14. 187 - 14 = 173. 3 + 7 - 1 = 9. 173 - 9 = 164.

4 + 6 - 1 = 9. 164 - 9 = 155. And So On.

why?

because mathematics can relate to logical thinking, these type of sums are also relatiated to other subjects of science but as it stands right now, we dont have the exact logical sums, in order to work out the basic principals of numbers relating to science. 9 seems to be at the centre of all sums or numbers. i have given this sum a chance, so it would help rationlise the hidden facts of science with numbers. i guess in time you would realise the sum of all numbers to effect all fors of science, whether chemical sums that can relate to this one and so-on.

9 seems to be at the centre of all sums or numbers. i have given this sum a chance, so it would help rationlise the hidden facts of science with numbers.
9 seems this way because the digits used in these sums are obtained by dividing by 10, due to the use of base 10 numerals.

Try you example in base 16:

138 base 10 = 8a base 16

8+A=12, 8A–12=78

7+8=F, 78–F=69

6+9=F, …

For this example the sum “settles” on F base 16, or 15. If you try it for any base system, you’ll discover that the sum settles on 1 less than the base.

It doesn’t settle smoothly. If you carry your example in base 10 for just 2 more steps, a sum of 18 is produced:

1+3+8=12, 138-12=126

1+2+6=9, 126-9=117

1+1+7=9, 117-9=108

1+0+8=9, 108-9=99

9+9=18, 99-18=81

8+1=9, …

In base 10, starting with a number greater than 99 will produce at least one sum of 27, greater than 999 at least one of 27, greater than 9999 one of 36, etc. This pattern holds true for any base system.

All of these are consequences of a 200+ year-old, fairly well-known, but none-the-less fastinating branch of Math known as modular arithmetic. The idea that modular arithmetic has a pervasive, mystical relationship to reality is known as numerology, and thousands of years old. For reasons too numerous to go into here, most modern mathematicians and scientists don’t believe modular arithmetic has extraordinary usefulness in the Sciences.

I personally feel that modular arithmetic may hold very important undiscovered conclusions in information theory that will be of profound importance in basic physics. The search for these conclusions requires sound Math education, work, and likely intuition and luck.

I personally feel that modular arithmetic may hold very important undiscovered conclusions in information theory that will be of profound importance in basic physics. The search for these conclusions requires sound Math education, work, and likely intuition and luck.
Much more important in cryptography than in physics. :surprise:

I personally feel that modular arithmetic may hold very important undiscovered conclusions in information theory that will be of profound importance in basic physics.

I dont think so, because numbers are just used to represent quantities, and physics deals with the quantities not the numbers. Just my opinion.