Science Forums

Insect in sealed jar. Dangers?

Drosera

Hey!

I wasn't too sure where I should have posted this. BUt I think here might be best.

I have an unknown species of Rhinoceros beetle that my grandmother sent me around 30 years ago. It is in a glass jar that has never been opened, and has become seized.

This summer, I intend to find a way to open the jar so that I can repair the beetle, and place him in a more easthetic display.

However, given that it was sealed for 30 years in what now must be an anarobic environment, I am a little concerned that dangerous moulds or bacteria may be released when I open the jar.

I was thinking of opening it outdoors, while wearing some sort of protection. I also thought about leaving it outdoors for a couple of days to air out.

How seriously should I be concerned about this? What would the best precautions be? Any info would be appreciated.

Take care!

Hey Drosera, interesting question. I am not too sure about potential hazards upon opening the jar (hopefully someone else here will be able to speak to that issue), but you should also be sure to seriously consider the preservation of the beetle BEFORE the jar has been opened. As soon as new air hits the bug, new deteriorization will begin.

Maybe you can glean some insight from the below:

http://www.sas.org/E-Bulletin/2002-06-21/labNotes/body.html

http://www.nfi.org.za/inverts/Collect/Index.htm

Anyway, good luck, and have fun!! :messenger