Science Forums

Expectations

otcartsid

Most definitely things depend on the observer, as well as the context in which the observer finds themselves, but I've frequently thought that the only instance where individuals are EVER let down is when they have expectations.

No expectations = never let down.

However, it is an interesting question because one of the things that has helped us become such a dominant life-form on the planet is our ability to anticipate outcomes.

Cheers. :lol:

I agree with you, InfiniteNow. It's true that disappointment stems from higher expectations.

I suppose in general that the success we as a species have obtained, because of our ability to anticipate outcomes, makes up for any depression we experience because of anticipation that is never fulfilled

I agree with you, InfiniteNow. It's true that disappointment stems from higher expectations.

I suppose in general that the success we as a species have obtained, because of our ability to anticipate outcomes, makes up for any depression we experience because of anticipation that is never fulfilled

That, and also the energy we generally expended surviving during our evolutionary past (hunting, foraging, protecting family, finding shelter, etc...) is not as necessary now with all of our societal/medical/technological advances (like supermarkets and modern farming), but we still have the same predispositions and energy. Instead of expending that energy surviving, we tend to turn it inward and we ruminate and get stuck in psychological ruts like depression (but the point you made about not fulfilling expectations is incredibly valid too). This is part of the reason we feel so good after exercise (without getting into a long exposition of neurotransmitters and blood flow)... we are spending much of our energy in the manner it was intended, as well getting the sense of accomplishment from our efforts.