Science Forums

Muiltple logical questions

inside the sun

1.what goes through the mind of a rapist or child molestor that makes the person think he/she is in the right? people only do what they think is right, right?

-my girlfriend was molested throughout her childhood, not only by her dad but by other men that were friends of her mother and father.

2.what goes through the mind of a person that locks a child in a cage, and physcially abuses them, feed them only peanut butter and water...

-someone at a daycare center in santa barbara just got caught for doing this.

Many child molestors (actually, most crimes) do not feel like they are in the right, and may in fact feel horrible about it- but they can't control their compulsions. People most certainly do not always do what they think is right, nor do what they always want to do. Compulsion is a powerful thing, and I would imagine a lot of people are often "at the mercy of their biology" rather then "deviant." This is not an excuse for their behavior, but perhaps a better way to think about the molestor.

As for locking kids in cages- perhaps they are thinking they are doing the kid some good?

their morality is different. its all result from sexual desire, which is natural. its very easy for sexual desire in intelligent creatures to become 'deviant'. when its safe and harmless, people use the word 'kinky'. when people who have deeper issues get involved (i.e, they don't feel the guilt, they don't feel its wrong, even if they've been taught to the contrary), it can be dangerous.