Science Forums

Walk up to the end?????

trapit

is it even possible to determine where we are in the universe? i mean, if we can't even figure out if the universe has an end, how can we say that we are in the middle? And if we are in the middle, "where the big bang happened," then i guess it would make sense that there is life flourishing on this planet, being the "oldest" piece of space... blahh blah yadah yadda

I keep remembering reading something about "no matter where you are in the universe, you are always at the center."

Does that ring any bells? I can't find it in the ways I am searching, so am guessing it may have been some philisophical conversation with a friend and we were speaking of ego-centered explanations or something.

If it is a real issue, it most likely had something to do with the concept that all galaxies are moving away from each other... Hubble's Law or something.

Hi everybody.

Yes we can. That where it started it. Thats the the center.

Sergey, if you assume the universe is on the surface of a higher dimensional sphere, and it is expanding "outwards" in one of those higher dimensions then the center of expansion (big bang) would not exist in our universe. If that is what you meant then forgive me.

Also, I think Tormod said that we are at the center of our observable region of the universe. Different from center of the universe.

There are no edges to the universe and there is no end or beginning.Only thing that pervades all over is the balancing forces like gravity.Blackholes which are extremes are gravity can be some of the ends or starts.

Any support for this? If it's opinion only, that's fine, but I ask that you acknowledge that. If not opinion, I ask again... please provide support.

Warmest regards,

I fail to understand you're last sentence tarak, please do not assume things to be definate unless you have some conclusive proof. Because I can easily say we evolved from pigs who once walked on hindlegs, you can't say I am wrong without providing any evidance, so without furthur evidance i can say anything insane and i would still be correct. My point is please provide some eviance for you're response. If you truly think universe is infinite give a reason.

Any support for this? If it's opinion only, that's fine, but I ask that you acknowledge that. If not opinion, I ask again... please provide support.

Warmest regards,

My amateur understanding of edges ofcourse is my opinion,but what I meant was that an edge is the energy a humanbeing can exert to reach a point of space and time and there should always be something beyond that particular point.

Its an opinion stemming from the links given below

http://universe.gsfc.nasa.gov/

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/solarsystem/voyager_heliosphere.html

My amateur understanding of edges ofcourse is my opinion,but what I meant was that an edge is the energy a humanbeing can exert to reach a point of space and time and there should always be something beyond that particular point.

Its an opinion stemming from the links given below

Thanks Tarak, for clarifying (and, Happy Birthday!!! :( ).

Please note that the first link you provided refers to the edge of a Black Hole.

The second, the edge of the Heliosphere, which is itself only within our own solar system.

The edges referenced in the thread relate to the universe. Are there edges, and what happens (if there are) when we approach or interact with them...

Cheers! :(

Thanks Tarak, for clarifying (and, Happy Birthday!!! :surprise: ).

Please note that the first link you provided refers to the edge of a Black Hole.

The second, the edge of the Heliosphere, which is itself only within our own solar system.

The edges referenced in the thread relate to the universe. Are there edges, and what happens (if there are) when we approach or interact with them...

Cheers! :gift:

My amteur opnion started from those links...See how far one can go???It depends on time and energy.Let us assume that in the coming decades researchers have idnetified genes like "ageless " and the human being can sustain for a longer life time.Even if an individual with an longer lifetime manages a vehicle which can travel at considerable lightyears per second to reach farther galaxies,where would be end up in this boundary less space????Ofcourse somewhere!!!But still he will have another infinity staring at him...

With regards to edges I felt that these exist only like speedbreakers and as abrupt change in equilibria like vacoules in a living cell or cell mebrane systems and give a beginning and and an end to an otherwise amorphous vacuum.With this view I felt that blackholes represent some of the extreme edges in an otherwise infinity...

Let us assume that in the coming decades researchers have idnetified genes like "ageless " and the human being can sustain for a longer life time.Even if an individual with an longer lifetime manages a vehicle which can travel at considerable lightyears per second to reach farther galaxies,where would be end up in this boundary less space????Ofcourse somewhere!!!

Interesting point, tarak. I am just not so sure I agree. I guess that's the nature of this entire thread. If there were a boundary, what would it look like? Would it even be approachable? Could you go to the other side somehow and look back in? The other side of what? Into what?

The boundary idea just doesn't feel right to me... but then again, for decades black holes didn't "feel right" to even the most brilliant in the field either... We'll have to keep on pondering...

[quote name='InfiniteNow']Interesting point, tarak.  I am just not so sure I agree.  I guess that's the nature of this entire thread.  If there were a boundary, what would it look like? Would it even be approachable?  Could you go to the other side somehow and look back in?  The other side of what?  Into what?The boundary idea just doesn't feel right to me... but then again, for decades black holes didn't "feel right" to even the most brilliant in the field either...  We'll have to keep on pondering...[/quote]

My opinion is that a boundary itself doesn't exist.You perceive a boundary at that point as you would get holistically exhausted...or your thought patterns are inadequate to perceive a boundary...