Science Forums

Alright people, let's think, "What company to invest in to gain $$ off alt. power?"

Bio-Hazard

I'm sure some of us know that with current gas prices being nuts already, the public is becoming more and more aware of what we have already known for years. People I assume will be going towards solar power within the next 10 years, if not four.

The reason I say four years is because I was viewing the news and it was said that gas prices in my area have risen from $1.80 to about $2.25 USD. This means a 40 cent raise, which is quite the raise seeing as how way back in the day gas use to cost $0.25 USD.

Now here's the question, where should we who are still attached to getting rich quick invest in? I'm sure everybody has their own viewpoints, but I looked into this when I was interested in the stock market a year ago and thought Astropower might be a wise choice. The whole turning point in this though is vehicles. Therefore, the hydrogen economy mixed with hybrid cars is going to be important.

In my assumption there will be a very low use of solar powered technology, and perhaps 30% usage of hydrogen and the rest gas. People would probably do what they have to to make themselves feel that paying for gas is like $1.80 again.

What I mean is, as long as everything balances out, you won't be using as much gas, so when you paid 20.00 for gas, which is now $30.00 (too lazy for math) or so, people will balance out the hydrogen, sun, and gas, so that they spend about $20.00 on gas with the hybrids. Although that $20 may not be the same amount of gas you're filling up with, it's enough for the hybrid.

So, here's the main question. Where do people invest?

If people are going to invest, right this moment would be the wisest, there's going to be a turning point really quick. I mean, really freakin' quick. I got a sixth sense about these things.

Good question. I think the use of gas will continue for a very long time - there are huge deposits and some of the gas is renewable on practical timescales AFAIK. In Norway there's a lot of controversy about construction of huge gas refineries since there is currently little or no way to clean the emissions from the extraction processes.

You may be right about solar power. I however believe that we will see an increased use of it as the efficiency of solar panes get much better than today. Look at the space programs and how they are getting much better conversion rates from the solar arrays on satellites, for example. This will become more available in commercial use soon.

Other alternatives like wind energy and tidal energy is probably never going to be a hot market for small investors (I may be very wrong of course). :xparty:

Now, what will the mix be? I have no idea of course. But then I don't even know which companies exist in this area. Any suggestions?

There are already many small "home" powerstations, though none of them are actually worthwhile in the absence of government subsidy.

In the UK you can sell power back to the electricity company, and they have to buy it. They also, last I heard, have to pay such an inflated price that you sell all your energy to them, and then buy back the regular electricity, and make a profit from it!

Wind turbines on the roof is one way to go. I saw a great design, and it is in the form of a ridge tile with a fan inside, which spins when the wind blows through it. The shape of the roof helps increase the wind speed, and it is at the highest point too. Very clever idea, and I wish I had thought of it! Probably a small company worth investing in, at any rate.

Basing it on the cost of gas in the USA is a bit weird, though. Most of the world has been paying a far higher bill for petrol for a long time, simply due to the higher rates of taxation and duty on it. We are over 90p a litre, which is about 70% tax. However, it's a big market that seems to have a big say in the direction technology heads in, so if you can catch up with the rest of the western world's fuel economy, and then do better, I'll not say no!