Science Forums

Help me in selecting final year project

are there any guidelines for the project, do you have to create something, or is it a research project, do you have to investigate an upcoming technology or do you have to focus on already present ones and investigate it's development over the years, market and that kind of stuff? More specifications you tell, the easier it would be to pick projects. CS in itself is a giant field, and you could cover everything from genetic programming to highways of tomorrow, robotics and everything in between. Also if you have already come up with some projects or even just thoughts, those would be helpful. Oh and most of all, how much time do you get to spend on a project and what is your budget like, wouldn't want to recomend you build something that you would have to invest some significant money into, say for example a weather baloon...

We r looking for the projects on saftware field.Course allows 4hrs per week officially for 4 months.As alexander said below am giving some common topics we students discussed:

Java disassembler

Blue tooth protocol

Telnet server

multithreading over dos

unicode evaluator

These were some of the topics by searching over internet and libraries.But it will be really good if u guys suggest topics becoz what we searched will not be a "scoop" it'll be common topics.We really are looking for something new.

Java disassembler

boring, who needs java anyways...

Blue tooth protocol
there are a million tools out there for blue tooth, lots are open sourced, its just not secure enough to consider it as anything to concern yourself with... seriously, just google for blue tooth sniper rifle :evil:

Telnet server
... might as well be digging up dinasaurs.... on mars...

multithreading over dos
use an os that threads... dont reinvent the wheel... at least improve it or something

unicode evaluator
once again, cool, but there is a million tools out there to do just that, prolly work a bit faster too....

sorry, this would be my thoughts on the class...

as you probably imagine teachers dont like me in their classes, for my liking of critiquing many of their assignments... its like that dec to bin converter i wrote a little over a yaer back, for some stupid intro class, the teacher went rambling on about nested loops and array manipulation, and after all that he was like "did you get all that alex" and i responded that i would like to do something more advanced, that i'd be bored with that assignment in 5 minutes, cuz i could write that prog in under 10 lines of code to work a million times faster then anything anyone wrote in class, so he challenged me.... all i'd like to say is bitsets... :evil: victory is sweet...

anyhow, i will think on possible projects, something that would actually be used and such, do you want me to integrade some hardware into my thougts, cuz i have an awesome project if you are willing to do the hardware too... (think rackmount coffee maker)

lastly, does this have to operate in windows world, or can you guys handle a real OS?

(P.S. i ended up submitting a program that converted any number from base 2-32 to any base between 2 and 32, quite nifty really... too bad i lost it somewhere...)

i got a few projects on my mind for now:

program to display the amount of cumulative traffic on the network... yeah this one will require a new algorithm...

a distance learning software suit that would be OS independent, and have all the usability of Vista (oxymoron) and will be open sourced. (this one will require a client and a server, administration, countless protocol support, security and all kinds of stuff like that)

thats that so far, but i'll keep on thinking... if you see something you want to hear more thoughts on, ask...