Science Forums

Morality and corruption

Tim_Lou

well, if "Survival is instinctual, not moral", where does morality come from?

back in way B.C. whatever, humans were hunting animals and living like animals...

as evolution occured, we realized we need some organization, things such as group hunting, living, protecting each other.... the very basic morality is built up, for our better survival.

later on, more groups of ppl are organized, they start to compete for food, lands and fight... as a group, which became war.

but we realize that we need to live together in order to survive, and, we need order in the society. so, morality is built up for order, and indireatly affect our survivals.

morality is actually a "sense", it is part of our natural... when a baby is born, he realized what his mother is, and he would not kill his mom. and a mom wouldnt kill her son either.

people living in a group is the same thing, i wouldnt kill a guy whos helping me, i wouldnt harm my group b/c we are working together. just like a wolf wouldnt bite another wolf in its group, but he might attack another group of wolves.

morality is something based on survival, althought some moralities might not seem to involve with suriving, but the base is.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You all appear to be confusing what ought to be with what is. How you would like it is a value you impose on something you do or observe. Reality has does not answer to your wishes. Nature does not pick favorites. Things happen according to the laws of cause and effect. Human perceptions are just that.

Linda,

I think I see what you're saying. I went to your website and I agree that the Universe does not care or differentiate between right and wrong. However, since human morality is a human invention, and humans do differentiate between right and wrong, and most of us do care, is it not up to humans to tranform what ought to be into what is? Is that not the reason for morality in the first place. I think that knowing what ought to be is a monumental task in itself. Turning that into what is will be a daunting task as well. We may never accomplish such a lofty goal, but should we not strive? To accept the universe as it is may be inevitable, but to accept humanity as it is,.....is to deny that which is at the core of our very existence...... to aspire to greater heights.

Originally posted by: Tim_Lou

well, if "Survival is instinctual, not moral", where does morality come from?

Tim, I doubt we could take any ten people at random and get an agreement on morality. I think you should read as many differing views as you can, then form your own opinion. I will answer your question as I see it;

I think some moral codes are genetically inherited. Do not murder your own kind, is one. Many moral tenets are learned, such as it is wrong to steal.

back in way B.C. whatever, humans were hunting animals and living like animals...

as evolution occured, we realized we need some organization, things such as group hunting, living, protecting each other.... the very basic morality is built up, for our better survival.

later on, more groups of ppl are organized, they start to compete for food, lands and fight... as a group, which became war.

but we realize that we need to live together in order to survive, and, we need order in the society. so, morality is built up for order, and indireatly affect our survivals.

morality is actually a "sense", it is part of our natural... when a baby is born, he realized what his mother is, and he would not kill his mom. and a mom wouldnt kill her son either.

people living in a group is the same thing, i wouldnt kill a guy whos helping me, i wouldnt harm my group b/c we are working together. just like a wolf wouldnt bite another wolf in its group, but he might attack another group of wolves.

EXACTLY.

morality is something based on survival, althought some moralities might not seem to involve with suriving, but the base is.

The moral codes that allowed us to evolve as social creatures are an evolutionary advantage that help us exist and proliferate, in that context, yes. But survival in the sense of fighting for your life, no. If I'm strangling you, I doubt you'll care if it is immoral to knee me in the groin!!