Science Forums

Paying for College

OneArmedScissor

Well, I don't know exactly how to begin this, so I'm just gonna jump right in.

I need help paying for college. I'm 19 right now (about to be 20). The college I currently attend is a small, private Liberal Arts school, which costs a crap load of money to go to. It costs roughly $30,000 for 2 semesters (roughly one year's worth of college). Basically, my parents can't afford to send me to college there anymore and my scholarships are gone.

Would it be a good idea to take out student loans in order to pay for college?

I'm not sure if I'd like to be in over $60,000+ worth of debt after I graduate from college. But from what I've heard, these loans aren't that bad to pay off.

Also, I know the military can help pay off college loans. I was thinking if I do take out loans for school, I could join the military to help pay off a good chunk of the money. I've also been kind of interested in joining the military for some time (i'm physically fit, so I'm not worried about boot camp, etc.).

Any help and/or advice would be awesome.

Thank you!

Before doing any thinking about joining the army to pay for college, you best talk to a recruiter. He can provide you with the info. I think it is a bit unusual to think of this half way through college (though I'm sure they'd be willing to work something out.)

Depending on what you intentions are after you acquire your degree there are also the PeaceCorps and AmeriCorp who are willing to pay off your student loans if you agree to sign up for 3 years of teaching in the deprived school of their choice (may be inner city Harlem, or backwoods rural Louisianna/Montana).

You could also choose to take some time off and join the Americorp NCCC. I believe by doing so you are building up funds through them to then pay for college.

Have you filled out your FAFSA every year? If you parents truly can't afford it (and lots of people say their parents can't because it means selling off that yacht or summer home) then there are tons of grants available, though less than say 6 years ago when I went to college.

Have you talked to financial aid at your college? I almost got screwed my senior year at my school (now up to $35,000/year) but I filed a financial appeal and they gave me enough funds to finish my last year.

Are you willing to work hard to get a good job? That really started almost a year ago for you. You really need intership experience. It is incredibly important towards landing that first job. Your experience working at the university is almost worthless (say as an RA, or in the IT department) if you don't have any experience outside the school. You also need to have a resume drafted (to apply for those interships) and to start job hunting by the end of your junior year (a full year before you graduate.)

Putting extra effort into your classes, to get as much out of them as possible and taking the GRE specific to your major will also benefit you greatly (i'm told, i didn't take the GRE as I didn't intend on going to grad school immediately) but they say to take it anyway. The scores reflect how much you actually learned from school, and you can put them on your resume. Your transcripts may be important to some companies too.

Why is all that important, because it is hard to land a job that will help you pay off your loans in good time. Even with low interest rates (up like 1.5% in the last 2 years) you pay a lot of interest if you only pay the minimum. I've payed off nearly half of my loans in the two and a half years that I've been out. It took me nearly 2 years to find a job that would allow me to pay more than the minimum. I didn't do the things above, and learned their great value only after I graduated.

BTW, becoming good friends with the Career center counselors keeps you in their mind when people call about hiring interns or setting up employment interviews. My roommate got his first job working for Enterprise Rent-A-Car this way. 6 months later he got hired at a securities firm in the Chicago area because of the rest.

Thats Great advice Cues99!

I am in similar boat trying to pay for next 2 years.

If I was a Hot Chick, I could just be a Stripper!! and pay that way!!:eek:

(cuz' thats what ALL strippers say their doing it for.:eek2: )

Join the Air Force Reserve, before you join the Army reserve! ( those guys never get killed )

Grants seem like a good way to get money. I should take a Grant writing course.

Well... My dad makes a lot of money because he owns his own business, but he's not willing to pay for a lot of the college cost.

Basically, i got a soccer scholarship, but I can't play soccer anymore. Thus, I won't have that scholarship anymore.

So there's a huge chunk of money that I'll have to make up.

My idea/plan at this point is to take out student loans and apply for as many scholarships as possible (every little bit helps). After graduating and earning my degree, I will either join the military reserves of some sort or find a well paying job to help pay off the loans. Also, with a degree I'll be able to be a 1st Lieutenant (correct me if I'm wrong) if I decide to do the military route; which will save me alot of time and going through abunch of crap.

Are you willing to work hard to get a good job? That really started almost a year ago for you. You really need intership experience.

At this point in my life, I realize I gotta start getting **** together in order to find a good job, etc. I plan on getting an internship at Intel or going to work for the park service at Yellow Stone this summer. Basically, I wanna stop pissing away my college days and actually start doing something with them.

At this point in my life, I realize I gotta start getting EDIT together in order to find a good job, etc. I plan on getting an internship at Intel or going to work for the park service at Yellow Stone this summer. Basically, I wanna stop pissing away my college days and actually start doing something with them.

Good for you, you are taking the first step. Too bad you are in a boat where your dad doesn't want to pay anymore.

I'm not entirely sure about the 1st Lt. thing, but I have a buddy who served his 4 years plus a bit and he could tell me. I don't think you will avoid a lot of stuff though, you'll still have to go through any basic. You'll still be required to get officer training. I thought the only way to become an officer was to attend the military college of your choice (i.e. West Point), but it does seem a bit unfair that you have a college degree and wouldn't be used for it. BTW 1st Lt. still serves on the front line with the grunts.

Anyway, I've said my piece. If I find out more on the army thing, I'll let you know, but your best bet is still to see a recruiter asap, if you are interested.