Science Forums

Introversion vs extroversion

otcartsid

I’m curious about how big a role your mood plays in affecting how much or little you talk and/or share with others.

Do you think gender affects your personality in this way?

Is it possible that there are different classes of introversion...people who always keep to their selves and those who are affected by their mood?

Would you say this area of personality (introversion/extroversion) is ingrained or can it be influenced by life experiences and lifestyles?

Because of a mini discussion I had with a friend, it makes sense to me now that how you react to stress is the true test of whether you are an introvert or extrovert. Introverts will avoid communicating/ sharing their problems, etc because to them this communication is just extra stress. On the other hand, extroverts are more likely to vent, etc because it's what they know.

Introverts will avoid communicating/ sharing their problems, etc because to them this communication is just extra stress. On the other hand, extroverts are more likely to vent, etc because it's what they know.
I think you make a good point here otcartsid; BTW, Welcome to Hypography..........................share your thoughts.....................Infy

I’m curious about how big a role your mood plays in affecting how much or little you talk and/or share with others. … Would you say this area of personality (introversion/extroversion) is ingrained or can it be influenced by life experiences and lifestyles?
If you’re not already, you may want to familiarize yourself with the history of the terms “introvert” and “extrovert”. As used commonly today, they originate with Carl Jung’s early 20th century psychological theories of personality, and referred to one of his major “dichotomies of existence”, “psychological type”. As used by Jung, there is much more to the introvert/extrovert dichotomy than how communicative a person is – an introvert can honestly appear very talkative and open, while an extrovert may be very quite and private – it refers mostly to whether a person is attentive to external things – the outside world – or internal things – their own state of mind.
Do you think gender affects your personality in this way?
My read of Jung and the post-jungians leads me to conclude that gender is not considered a major factor in deciding psychological type
Is it possible that there are different classes of introversion...people who always keep to their selves and those who are affected by their mood?
Almost certainly. There are whole volumes of books on the subject.

It’s worth noting that, as with the theories of most psychodynamic personality theorist, such as Freud and Jung, most psychologist these days don’t consider their theories very accurate. They’re more interesting from a historical and philosophical perspective than from a clinical one.

I am more familiar with how the "post-Jungians" define introversion and extroversion. My understanding is that you are classified according to where you get your energy. If you get it from outside of you (other people) you are an extrovert. If being around people drains your battery you are an introvert. I totally understand that there are shy extroverts and outgoing introverts.

Could you recommend some titles about the different forms of introversion?

I kinda disagree with your last statement. For example, I have found it interesting to learn that the brains of introverts and extroverts are wired differently so information gets processed differently.