Science Forums

IE popups

Do you have this problem with Hypography or just anywhere? I have never experienced it.

Can't you just turn off popups in Netscape?

I'd check out Mozilla - a much sleeker browser with good popup killer capabilities.

Tormod

1) make sure that IE is not set as your default browser.

2) mailbomb Microsoft :-)

I assume (not very safe) that the latest Netscape and Mozilla, are still the same. I use Mozilla 1.5 and it's popup blocker is incredible. I do not get popups, it's that easy. I don't get forced re-directs that change my home page. I don't get infections from site that take advantage of security holes in IE. I have to manually, by site, allow popups if I need than at a site. Small inconvenience. It also stops over 75% of the e-mail viruses from automatically taking over. One has to intentionally run an attachment. Buffer overflows are ignored, not passed to the processor.

But then you get lazy site designers that program exclusively for IE because they can point and click Frontpage, but not actually design a site correctly. Some such sites are just blank windows.

But I will still take it over IE any day.

The IE popup problem occurs on my XP machine. Netscape is the default browser. My blocker usually works but then it prevents me from seeing some other java screens. I looked for advice on the microsoft websites but apparently the problem has gotten out of hand. I would like to be able to prevent iexplore.exe from running. It starts whenever an IE based ad tries to pop up and slows down the process until it gets zapped or I kill it. There are so many layers to operating systems these days, it isn't possible to figure out what's going on.

I am unfamiliar with the term "IE based ad". I did not know that it was possible to force Netscape to open a MSIE window. I wonder if what you are actually getting are ActiveX popups. Is there a choice in your popup blocker for ActiveX?

Tormod

I'd say that there is some kinda popup tool installed on your macheine; uninstall hotbar, browser extentions that you don't know EXACTLY what they do, and any program that just looks mischevious.