Science Forums

Great philosophical movement of our times?

jkellmd

Do the community members feel that any great school of thought has been established since the existentialists? Where have we travelled intellectually in the last fifty years?

In general, does any particular school of philosophy speak out to you?

If so, what does it offer you?

Does any single personality command your attention?

Please exclude discussions of religion.

Do the community members feel that any great school of thought has been established since the existentialists? Where have we travelled intellectually in the last fifty years?
I consider the school of thought commonly referred to as extropianismqualifies as a great philosophical movement. Although arguable not new – 18th -19th century philosopher/scientist/mathematician/engineers such as Gottfried Leibniz and Charles Babbage clearly had, and articulated, one of the central extopian tenets that a non-biological “reasoning engine” could be the intellectual equal or possible superior of a human – I believe it’s fair to say that these early ideas fell short of being a “great philosophical movement”, while ones of the past 30 years do not.
In general, does any particular school of philosophy speak out to you?
Yes, extropianism speaks to me, loudly.
If so, what does it offer you?
Several things, including: the possibility of personal immortality; a possible answer to the question of “the meaning of life, the universe, and everything”.
Does any single personality command your attention?
It’s difficult to single out a particular person, particularly as extropiansism tends to de-emphasize the significance of individuals, but if I must, Charles Stross is my pick.
Please exclude discussions of religion.
gratefully.

PS: excellent questions!

• 1 month later...

I wasnt familiar with any of what was listed above (except Babbage) but it did make me wonder what the foundations of a modern philosophical movement in our times might be. Since I like a challenge I thought I would have a stab at it ! (as he thinks to himself that he hopes they dont think he is some kind of ego maniac for suggesting the idea! lol)

In our times I see lots of things happening that are less than ideal. Infact our inability to create ideal outcomes looks likely to bring us unstuck eg eco issues and indeed our standard of performance may be too low to be compatible with a long term survival probability in excess of 50% (if that should be the extinction threshold).

A philosophical movement therefore might theoretically be based upon the determination of absolute ideals..ones where nothing higher can be imagined..relevent to every human situation. Apart from this as a philosophical slant in itself the side spin by product would philosophically be that by determining what all of the ideals are the chances for them entering our lifetime reality might actually be increased. Since they would be of the highest most absolute order agreement with them also seems a likely outcome.