Science Forums

Has anybody been at CERN?

Carlos

I've been hosting a few days in la Foyer du CERN in my visit to Geneva to see the town and the CERN itself.

It was incredible to see all those machines, particle accelerators (or ponderators should I say), thousands of cables running along "secret" corridors, giagnt tubes, photomultipliers, detectors... For those familiar with this place I visited Linac2, PS booster, and ISOLDE (where they study principally Beta and Gamma decay of unstable nuclei). I could get too see this principally because my physics teacher participates every now and then on CERN proyects.

Now he is in a proyect to construct a monoenergetic neutrino beam which will be shot at cern and detected at Lenaro (Italy) to detect any change in identity and confirm the parity issue with neutrinos.

The offices looked like a psychiatric house, very tetric and 70 decade fashioned corridors. Some people there looked very strange, however it was atonishing to know many of the people that you crossed with were Nobel prizes.

The town of Berna was beautiful, so it was Bern (the capital city of Suitzerland), I'd recommend everybody to visit those cities, there are pretty nice! :cup:

Wow, I'm not really patriotic but it's nice to hear anyway that you liked switzerland.

About the CERN I've been there a week ago and have seen the construction site of the LHC, I was even lucky enough to be able to really go underground to see the people building the detector. I agree, it was bloody amazing I have already seen the pictures where you see a person standing next to the detectors but I never thought it would really be so huge!

I was there with some kids (a project called kids' university) and as usual with a bunch of children you are always late the result was that we were to late to see the anti-matter experiences....

But as I'm studying physics at the university of geneva I know some prof who work at Cern and they already proposed us that they take us to a tour around cern. So I guess some time in the near future I will go to see alo the things you saw.