Science Forums

Black holes merging

Ver

Hi

Consider an encounter of two black holes- probably initialy orbiting each other which I presume would slow down the encounter merge. Now consider specificaly the event horizons of each.

I say- and I know of another person-- that the event horizons must initialy repel each other. Consider why the event horizon has formed at that altitude to the singularity and the effect of another gravity source upon it.

A photon on the horizon (to me) will sit-- unstable of course-- on the horizon in a stalled condition- an approaching source of gravity will have an effect on the photons horizon altitude and it will not reach out as is popular. It will retract and allow the photon to escape.-- Tilt the ballance as it were. Slow the inwards flow.

Now my thoughts go to the merge and the way they merge and that is to imagine two globes of event horizons flattening out at their closest faces but still able to pull and strengthen each others opposite faces and they merge at the two outside circumference edges-- but the closest faces-- the event horizons still repel (Repel-- not a good word they each reduce the opposite horizons flow)- consider a photon right on the null between the two holes (Determined by the mass of each black hole and their spin - orbit focus point.-- which way does it go -- meaning the event horizons will not merge to that point.

So what I am saying is a standard black hole has no "Jets" two holes that have orbited each other and merged may have a hole in the middle ( Rather like a singularity of a Kerr hole) which will allow the pandoras box to open along the axial null line and emit the jets

The null is central to the merged hole both axialy and radialy but as the jet progresses axialy it will be increasingly effected by the merged black hole gravity-- but not enough to close the axial line of escape for the jets.

I am sure the bigest hurdle is to accept the repelling horizons

A little radical eh-- Please correct the detail

Dave R :cup:

I doubt it.

Two objects massive enough to form black holes, orbiting one another, will have to go at a fair clip. And if they want to merge, the orbits must shrink, i.e. the orbit velocity will increase. And they'll probably reach the lowest possible orbit, any lower and they'll have to orbit faster than the speed of light. So there might actually be an 'orbit horizon' as well, defining the lowest possible orbit. I wonder what'll happen in such a case?

Hi

Thanks for the post- Just a thought re the black holes being massive. Perhaps they are not so large-( the event horizons that is)--if we consider the density of them and not so large to an outside observer.

It would be interesting to see how close and what speed they would be able to orbit at considering the evidence of stars orbiting black holes presently. What would the extra mass and reduced size of one of those stars do to orbit speed?

If they were able to orbit- in a stable condition-- perhaps the ingestion of material is what would make the event horizons force a merge. this would I believe not increase orbit speed . Why would they come together otherwise?

I do see what you mean as an orbit horizon- interesting- but the orbit velocity of the two may never reach that. If there was one yea what would happen??

Do you subscribe to event horizons repel or what are your thoughts re my reasoning.

You may have applied a degree of diplomacy re I doubt it v No chance.

Thanks

Dave R

I actually don't think there's anything special about the event horizon, apart from a locational description of that area of space where information stops.

The event horizon isn't anything per se, it consists of nothing, it just defines the point at which information fails to escape the black hole. At that point, you're committed to fall into the black hole. But that's due to the mass of the black hole, and the curvature of space. It's not because the event horison is made of anything. It's just a point in space.

Therefore I can't see the event horizon repelling (or even attracting) anything. It's not a force. It's just a mathematical point in space.

I agree with what you are saying but not sure why you said it I believe it is where a photon with a totaly vertical trajectory can stall trying to get out-- mathamatical or not-- this is the last chance stall point- - what I am saying is- the stalled photon will escape with an approaching gravitational force- so that point- mathamatical or not-- moves towards its singularity. I have not said the event horizon is a force.

If the horizon by however we define it-- moves towards its singularity is it possible for information within the event horizon on the singularity side- to be exposed.

I believe the only force I have talked about is a merging of the horizons forced by material ingestion. Our definitions of the event horizons are similar. The Mathamatical point R_s can be dented localy. Can you see that point moving towards the singularity with the approach of another gravity

source

Dave R