Science Forums

Topic Concerning Lift.

arkain101

I have been doing some experiments and it seems as though flight or lift is possibly a misinterpreted force. It is said a wing creates low pressure from faster moving air on the top of the wing from its shape and a higher pressure of air below the wing. This effect generates the force which we call lift, but as I discover, it is not the pressure differences that are the cause of the lift force. :cup:

What I seem to conclude that the "force" behind lift is actually the transfer of mass. Yes it is true that fast moving air creates a vacume but I find myself wondering if it is not vacume which lifts, even though it is essential to the effect.

I find that what generates lift is the shifting of interntia and mass. The wing generates a vacume on the top of itself, this vacume creates air to push against it as it tries to fill in the lost pressure. This creates an effect as if air is glued or stuck to the wing. Then the air is changed in direction. This shift of the intertia and mass of air follows the law of all actions have an equal and opposite reaction and so the wing is pulled by the air as it becomes glued to the top of the wing. This glue type effect forces mass downwards and the wing must in turn respond to the equal opposite reaction by wanting to go up.

We can demonstrate this very easily with a rather large table spoon and a tape of fast moving water (which has no air in its stream, just clean thick water). We turn on the tap, hold the spoon by the top of the handle with our index finger and thumb gently. Now we hold it vertically and put the backside of the spoon towards the water stream. When the water hits the deflective face of the spoon one would first thing it would be kicked away by the water. What happens is the water becomes glued to the spoon from vacume pressure, the spoon then becomes glued to the water stream. Now the water follows a outwards cruved path from the contour of the spoon, swinging its mass outwards then redirecting it towards the scoop side of the spoon. This shift or transfering of mass in a pressurized enviroment causes the spoon to take on the "lift force".

If I am correct could this transfer of mass re-explain the force of lift of pressure difference ?

If so I can see how wings and such aero dynamics could be very differently designed.