Science Forums

What closes our minds and rots our brains

inside the sun

I have to admit i am very confused with our species, but at the same time, cannot get over the fact i am part of this confusion. Does anyone else feel this way. I feel i must seperate myself from everyone in order to truly see, and udnerstand. We must go back to being a child and viewing everything through or own eyes. which is hard, with so many opinions out there. and so many barriers. guidelines are beautiful, they need to exist in order for you to go beyond and break them, but at the same time, poor narrow minded people get trapped thinking their is only one way to do something and that is that. What has closed our minds so much? is it tv? some people believe so. Is it movies? music? comercials? :confused:

When our desire for novelty overwhelm our desire for certainty, we become foolishly credulous.

novelty-new

certainty-right/certain

credulous-gullible

So you believe that a closed mind is a gulliable mind. I can see that in the sense because your mind is closed you now believe anything that has to do with your prior beliefs opposed to seeing them in a new light? Correct me if im wrong?:confused:

…So you believe that a closed mind is a gulliable mind. I can see that in the sense because your mind is closed you now believe anything that has to do with your prior beliefs opposed to seeing them in a new light? Correct me if im wrong?:confused:
That’s not quite what I meant. I meant that, while the shortcomings of a close minded, dogmatic person are obvious, it’s possible for a person to suffer from having too open a mind.

One of my favorite aphorisms is: “I believe in an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out.” - Arthur Hays Sulzberger

I have to admit i am very confused with our species, but at the same time, cannot get over the fact i am part of this confusion. Does anyone else feel this way.

Human is what you are... you just have to accept it. I feel the same way sometimes.... It's hard for me to accept that I, myself, am part of this whole society of beings that I find so distasteful(sometimes). But I always try to think about how every species on earth seems to do an equal ammount of good and bad.

I feel i must seperate myself from everyone in order to truly see, and udnerstand. We must go back to being a child and viewing everything through or own eyes. which is hard, with so many opinions out there. and so many barriers.

It's really not as hard as you think.... just the fact that you are questioning society and thinking about all this stuff, shows that you are breaking free.

guidelines are beautiful, they need to exist in order for you to go beyond and break them, but at the same time, poor narrow minded people get trapped thinking their is only one way to do something and that is that. What has closed our minds so much? is it tv? some people believe so. Is it movies? music? comercials? :confused:

i think all beings are close-minded. It's not a bad thing. I think it keeps us sane. If we were to truly understand everything about our environment at all times.... it would just be too much for us. Our concious brains are just not designed to see truth and enlightenment. Well, we can see truth and enlightenment.... for very brief periods of time.... and then we forget... and go back to thinking about whether or not our hair looks good.

Well, we can see truth and enlightenment.... for very brief periods of time.... and then we forget... and go back to thinking about whether or not our hair looks good.

i like that. Is that why albert einstein stopped caring about those kind of things, in order to use his mind and intellect for more "important things." Think of how much free of a mind you have, when you remove the stress of worrying about what to wear, caring about what you wear. It also removes caring about what others wear etc... Thats a lot of unneccesary brain power, figuring out how to look good or fit in, i think albert realized that