Science Forums

New Quiz: Games and Puzzle

Tormod

I hope you have noticed that we opened a store at:

http://www.hypography.com/sciencestore/

In celebration, we have put together a brand new quiz about the history of famous games and puzzles. The end date is July 5, 2004 - so make sure you participate today. You have to get all the questions right!

http://www.hypography.com/quiz.cfm?id=34217

Good luck!

Tormod

About the square triangle puzzle -- I had to peek at the solution. Thanks for giving the web site for hinged models. My calculations were off by the value of 'alpha' which is the key element. Almost had it. It isn't a tangram per se but it does have similar characteristics. (The store order went through this time.) Pandora

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ordered the 4 puzzle package from Tormod. It arrived in reasonable time. Actually it arrived in favorable timing. My 2nd oldest son's B'day party was in a week. He is older, just past teens, has a high IQ and loves puzzles. So I wrapped them for him. When he opened the pkg and then one of the puzzles, once he saw what it was all about and started to play, he really got into them. The whole group, my 3 other kids (yes even at this age we have family parties for them) and a few others, had some fun with them.

Word of warning, once you open them, putting them back in the package can be as much "fun" as playing with them outside the box.

But you can always just cram them back in! :-)

They are a fun set, worth the money, and a great way to show Tormod you appreciate all his efforts on this site.

Besides, I'm sure the FB I appreciated being able to log a foriegn package coming to me. Add to my file!

Originally posted by: Freethinker

Besides, I'm sure the FB I appreciated being able to log a foriegn package coming to me. Add to my file!

Thanks for your kind words, FT.

I do of course send weekly reports the the feds on everything you guys say in these forums so no need to order puzzles just for that.

Tormod

The quiz was difficult, but very educational, lots of research.

I just ordered the launch offer of all 5 puzzles because of the good reviews. Even though I will be winning a set, I know my kids will want their own to solve, great gift idea.

Here is an idea Tormod, save on shipping and just send both sets together.

Did I read correctly on the checkout page, 24% sales tax in Norway? Wow, I complain about my 8%. If they tried 24% here in the U S we would likely have another civil war.

Thanks, Unc!

Yeah, 24% is what it takes to run an oil-rich welfare state with 4 million inhabitants, where gasalready cost $6 per gallon.

Property tax isn't too bad, I think, income tax is usually around 30-35%.

We pay a lot of taxes and fees and daycare is expensive and hard to get (even though it's public).

But...in SWEDEN they have 25% sales tax so we beat them, at least.

Tormod

WOW!

There is some talk of dropping all BUT a Sales Tax here in the US. It was projected that it would be in the 25-30% range. But that would then be the ONLY tax.

Perhaps I should start a thread on my ultimate solution to the tax problem, the "Total Lifecycle cost tax".

Received my puzzles today. WOW!! That was really fast, less than a week from Norway. A++ service. I've played with one of them and it is more challenging than it looks at first. I'll get to the others this weekend. I like the one made of teak. Overall, a good value for the money.

Thanks, that's good to hear!

Just wait for the next item we're making...it has something like 13 pieces and forms two different kinds of pointed stars. Extremely hard...something to do between the cigar band cleaning.

• 4 years later...

Several years ago someone (probably Tormod) posted a geometric puzzle that had four pieces. When put together one way, it formed a square and then by moving a couple of the pieces around, it formed a triangle. Well, the square is easy but I can't get the triangle. I know I did it then but it eludes me, now. Does anyone remember this clever puzzle?