Science Forums

Colour comes from light being absorbed - so is an orange still orange in the dark?

Darnok

Question: Sonny has been looking at light and colour for his primary dip ed studies. He's learned that colour comes from light being absorbed - so is an orange still orange in the dark?

Karl: White light is split into all the rainbow colours. An orange looks orange because all the other colours are absorbed and orange is reflected back. But there are 11 other sources of colour apart from reflected and absorbed light.

Yeah very Curious about this one

regards

Kon

Question: Sonny has been looking at light and colour for his primary dip ed studies. He's learned that colour comes from light being absorbed - so is an orange still orange in the dark?

Karl: White light is split into all the rainbow colours. An orange looks orange because all the other colours are absorbed and orange is reflected back. But there are 11 other sources of colour apart from reflected and absorbed light.

Yeah very Curious about this one

regards

Kon

The in the dark part I'll leave to the others. However, the perceived color of the fruit in question in light depends on the color of light reaching it. If you shine a green light on it, it will appear to have a gray color, not orange. Try it with an orange and a green christmas light; I'm off to confirm it by experiment myself for confirmation of my answer. Nothing like an experiment eh? :evil: