Science Forums

Scientific data from concentration camps. Use and ethics?

sanctus

No, but if your parents are rich when you get born the they will make a clone right away and so whenever you need something it will be there for you... and just to keep it fresh every 10/20 years you make a new one and once you have more than 3 you kill the oldest one (the remaining should be enough for all cases).

• 2 weeks later...

Originally posted by: Freethinker

One of the big problems, that never seems to be addressed in movies or books, is the length of time involved. There is nothing in cloning technology which would provide for a siignificant reduction in time needed to "grow" the body. Would it work for a "60ish" with organ failure to have to wait 15-20-??? years for the body to reach an appropriate age?

good point, but how to force these neutral cells into being? How to create them as needed? The cost of keeping a cell alive is a little harsher than keeping an autonomous system alive, is it not? baby food and electricity, keeping free form cells?

But the point I was trying to make was about the use of these bodies in reserch like that performed in those concentration camps? The rather abrupt surge in medical power that followed was quite good, but the cost in intelligent humans was rather extream. but what about a body that doesn't feelpain? one without cognative capacity? no sences, no imput other than homeostasis necessitates.

Human cloning is something that I've given some consideration. Technologically we've a few hurdles to overcome, but it is inevitable. What can be done-will be done, it is in our nature, there's no fighting it. Yes, someday in the near future we will clone humans without a higher brain function specifically for donor parts. A man has himself cloned at age 50 so that when he is 70-80 he has nice fresh organs just about the time his start to fail. Monetary considerations aside, without higher brain function I see no moral issue. Others will.

Assuming some fantastic technological leaps in nerve cell regeneration(and generation), the other major obstacle in a brain transplant into your "new body" is the absence of muscle and bone mass. A brainless clone lying on a table isn't exactly getting much exercise. After a year in a coma, many patients never recover atrophied muscles. Consider what happens to astronauts after months in micro-gravity, they can't walk. I expect that the clone, lying motionless for 20+ years, would not develope many bones or muscles at all, or they would atrophy so badly as to be rendered useless. Many organs may do similarly.

If someday all of these obstacles can be overcome, a person could clone himself/herself every 50 years or so and always have a fresh body. It's not quite immortality, but it's close. Could still get run over by a truck.

Originally posted by: Uncle Martin

....the other major obstacle in a brain transplant into your "new body" is the absence of muscle and bone mass. A brainless clone....lying motionless for 20+ years, would not develope many bones or muscles at all, or they would atrophy so badly as to be rendered useless. Many organs may do similarly.

I'd say the body could be worked out by being hooked up to a computer(something's gotta fill the empty space in it's skull). Every day the body goes through a pre-programmed set of motions every day, even weight training could be incorperated.

Yes, if we solve all of the problems already mentioned I'm sure that machines could do alot. I had knee surgery recently and a machine exercised my leg 20 min. per hr. automatically. This is actually a lesser obstacle than many of the others mentioned. Immortality may be possible- I hope that I can survive long enough to participate.