Science Forums

1st and 2nd law of Thermodynamics.

Edge

Okay, some questions around this and a crazy idea I hve thought.

First: What's the official statement of the first law of thermodynamics. Does it state the conservation of mass-energy?

Something along the lines of:

The sum of the mass and energy in the universe is always constant?

Second: I know that the second law of thermodynamics does say that the total entropy of the universe is always increasing. Now, I know this means that the entropy can decrease on some systems and increase on the surrounding ones. Yet, the total entropy will definitely increase.

However, has been observed in nature a process that does not go with the second law? On microscopic systems?

Third: Supposedly the Universe is always expanding. Can this result in the meaning that entropy can always remain the same on all the universe.

Yes, I know there's no conservation of entropy principle. However, is this possible?

Third: Supposedly the Universe is always expanding. Can this result in the meaning that entropy can always remain the same on all the universe.

If the universe expands, then how could entropy remain the same on all the universe? YOu would not be able to reach a previous state by shrinking it, so the entropy would have increased.

Yes, I know there's no conservation of entropy principle. However, is this possible?

In theory, anything is possible. However, it's like a "conservation of time" principle - you can imagine it but it is not likely. Entropy is nothing mysterious - it is simply the measurement of amount of disorder in a closed system. We don't even know if the universe IS a closed system.

Conservation of entropy would require that NOTHING in a system changes, including the motion of atoms and subatomic particles.