Science Forums

Ice - and its powers

arkain101

I have read around that it is not well known how and why water expands when it freezes and turns to a solid form (ice).

I was messing around with ice in my oil-water experiment and noticed that first of all, ice is less dense than water or probably better explained as more boyant. I noticed that when ice melts it releases tons of gas. So it appears that water takes on gas from the atmosphere when it freezes. This could explain the boyancy and powerful expansion as its molecular energy slows down.

I am wondering if there has been tests in vacumes to freeze water in order to see if it had any difference in the structure or process in which it freezes, if it does freeze at all?

When it does freeze it has alot of strength when it expands.

So does anyone know how much is know about water freezing?

I have read around that it is not well known how and why water expands when it freezes and turns to a solid form (ice).

I thought it was well known...

As the temperature drops the kinetic energy of the individual H2O molecules slow down, when they are going slower it is easier to form stronger inter-molecular links via hydrogen bonding.

Because of the shape of the water molecule and how hydrogen bonding works - the delta +ve hydrogen is atracted to the delta -ve oxygen of other molecules - a lattice is formed. When the lattice is formed the structure is more ridgid and so it becomes solid. This lattice structure takes up more space than the jumbled up water molecules when unfrozen and hence the liquid expands upon freezing.

• 4 years later...

water cannot exist as a liquid in a vacuum, meaning its boiling point is lowed but due to its unique properties the freezing point is also raised. There is actually a you tube video on this the water boils untill so much energy is extracted that it freezes ( due to the latent heat ). water has the effect of expanding when freezing up to a certain pressure only. meaning that yes it exert a lot of force when u put that to work but after something like 10000 bars of pressure on the ice it will ,just like all other substances contract when frozen.