Science Forums

Light, doppler shifts, relativity.

cwes99_03

FIRST, let me say this is theoretical.

SECOND

If you were capable of traveling very near the speed of light, what would radio waves from a source behind you look like?

The real question is, how far can you redshift a certain frequency of light (i.e. what speed would you have to travel to reduce this wave to nearly infinite wavelength?) ? I've never come across this question in my studies of doppler shift, and was wondering if anyone else had given it much thought.

well I have heard of people saying that light leaving a black hole is infinitly red-shifted so that it effectivly cant escape the black hole... so I guess that light from 'behind' you would be linearly red-shifted in proportion to your speed and if you where to reach c it would mean infinite red-shift and wave would not be detectable

so a velocity of 0.99999999999c causes a redshift of about 4 orders of magnitude according to that site. Guess that answers the question. It doesn't matter what frequency you look at. You'd have to be traveling so fast that you'd effectively be going close enough to c to negate the underlying question I posted.