Science Forums

Loneliness?

Tim_Lou

in today's technology and living style, people are getting farther apart from each other!

when your on the street, in a car, in any places... no one is caring about you, they just do their own...

is it due to the way today's society work? captalism?

what will our future look like? will the issue keep getting worse and society fall apart?...

whats your opinions?

• 1 month later...

forgon,

Exactly! they're letting the kids rule the government...wait, not right now they aren't, a while back they did, the baby boomer generation is what screwed it al up. they're the one's not caring. in fact, they act more like kids than the kids themselves do! not to say that there aren't any decent baby boomers left, there are plenty, but there are many many people left who are jsut corrupting our counrty. i mean, look at it, you got parents telling their kids, "he can drink, but he does anything wrong and he's gonna answer to me"..do they really think that when a kid is "old" enough to drink, they're actually gonna listen to what their parents tell them? uh, no! duh. i'm 17 years old, hate to say it, but do you think i listen to my parents? not one bit. they're "too old" for me, they "won't understand". in fact, they've gone through the same things that we have, it is actually better to go talk to your parents than it is to talk to your friends. who do you think would point you in the right direction? some kid that knows just as much as you do, or your mom or dad who has about 20-30 more years of life to warn you about?

for some reason, in my life, i never gave a rat's butt about my parents, i can't remember much about it, but i just never cared. it was all about me. sometimesd stil is. but i learned the hard way. i learn best that way. when you're so young, you think you know everything, and then, later in life, you get the real picture. you know how wrong you really were, and just how much it taught you, to be wrong, it actually teaches! there is only one thing you have to learn from being wrong, learn from your mistakes, and NEVER let a good oportunity pass you by, or you may never see it again.

Eric

Originally posted by: Tim_Lou

in today's technology and living style, people are getting farther apart from each other!

when your on the street, in a car, in any places... no one is caring about you, they just do their own...

is it due to the way today's society work? captalism?

what will our future look like? will the issue keep getting worse and society fall apart?...

whats your opinions?

Tim,

I think just the opposite. People are closer than ever before. The fact that we're discussing it is proof. The internet has made the world much smaller. Things are moving faster, spare time may be harder to come by, but I don't think people have changed. Friendships take time and effort. If you expect to get something out of it you must put something into it. Seems to me that you're spending so much time trying to be the best you, you can be, that you don't have enough time to invest in other things. If you feel lonely these things must be more important than you'd like to admit. SLOW DOWN!! Stop and smell the flowers, meet some new people(in person), you may be surprised at the rewards.

Originally posted by: Tim_Lou

...snip...

whats your opinions?

My opinion: Loneliness is a state of mind. Everyone is capable of doing something about it. Especially young, handsome, and intelligent people like yourself, Tim.

Tormod

things go in cycles, just like conflict "good" "bad"bis bioth in us and as humans will still do the same things as we have reasons to do all sides resons for all sides so thel be all sides like including bonding...... but even if your in a raw sewagwe dump at 427 in the morning in the middle of south pole or in space.. your still not alonme in the sense that evething (including uou) is part of the universe or whatever everything is,..

(off topic but>> how do we know we dont know everything??.. pretty simple answer but id actually like to see how people answer that, i have mine but still..)

well, new technology seems to bring us closer and closer.

but, like this forum, we are discussing stuffs in front of the computer! not in person, but a dead mechine.

dont you think that people are getting scared of being closer of each other?

back in history, ppl need to stay together in order to survive, like those settlers in this new land, they worked hard together and live together...

although ppl are still working together, but no one seems to care about the others. there is too much work to care b4 caring others.

like my cousin, hes 10 yrs old, and he plays computer everyday, and PS, video games...

while back in the old days, everyone goes out in the fields and have fun....

and also, problems like some mental diseases are arising, probably due to this society...

do you think there is somthing wrong? or is it b/c of capitalism???

Tim_Lou: well, new technology seems to bring us closer and closer. but, like this forum, we are discussing stuffs in front of the computer! not in person, but a dead mechine.

Yes, a point I was going to bring up. Many people have traded interaction with actual people for interaction with a computer.

Kids are also doing this via video games (a point Tim_Lou also makes). My two sons will sit down with their PS2 all day long if I let them. Used to be kids couldn't wait to get out doors and find some others to play with. Not only are American children getting fatter on average because of this, they are also getting anti-social. Furthermore, with many of them playing "shooter" games, they are learning bad lessons.

There's also a lot of misinformation in prime time TV these days. What is viewed as funny is things that one should NOT do in society. But kids are seeing it and learning that it gets a laugh: positive reinforcement for them to do it. As adults, we realize it is funny exactly because one wouldn't actually do that kind of thing, but kids haven't learned all their lessons yet, and will tend to emulate the actions they've seen rewarded with attention and laughter on TV.

Not only do I feel that Tim_Lou made a couple of good points, but Tormod did too. Loneliness is] a state of mind. One can be surrounded by a ton people and be lonely, and on the other hand, one can be isolated and yet not feel lonely at all.