Science Forums

Acronym anecdotes?

CraigD

From the thread 4285:

... I have too a couple of acronyms, my own. Here is a selection: Doppler universe cannibalism and Hubble expansion (), degeneracy in the mass (), is dis info obsolete too? (?), Los Alamos Mother of all electrons (), Cosmic Radiation Anistropy Probe (), Jean’s instability sucking mechanism (), cosmic ubiquitous microwaves (), bleak unbelievable nonexistent gravity-hole (), automatic non-dynamical response to the onset of gynocratic nebulocity (), dubious ubiquitous delirious erogenous-zone (), super massless (), pussyish inactive massive particles (), With a miracle anything is possible ().

Coldcreation

I've edited this post because it showed a lack of respect for the individual it was directed at.
I got a chuckle out of coldcreation’s acronyms – they neatly and tersely summarize many of his views on modern cosmology in a way that whole monographs cannot - but can see how a few may have tread on the forum rules a bit. In any case, infamous left the phrases themselves intact, so interested readers can easily reconstruct them or not, if they so chose.

I’ve a personal acronym anecdote. Around 1992, I had to develop an audit-worthy security system, including the crypto library functions, in a hurry. The system was meant to secure only the system’s most sensitive mode of access, “programmer mode”, so I called it “Programmer Security, Control and Tracking System” – PSCATS, pronounced “P S, cats” which I thought was pretty catchy.

My immediate higher-up at the time had a reputation for inventing masterful acronyms, and, immediately taking my less masterful attempt to task - too many syllables, not memorable, goofy 1950s feel – reinvented it as CATSPS – pronounced “cat’s piss”. After all, he contended, nobody ever really likes a security system, so we might as well give it an acronym fitting the feeling it was likely to invoke in its victims/users.

To this day, I occasionally answer questions about this security system, which is likely to remain in use for at least 2012 (though I substantially revised it this year, so its now CATSPS2). I’ll say the name, often over the phone to a complete stranger. Silence will ensue, followed by “what did you just call that system?” followed by me expanding the acronym, and sometimes recounting its history.

Does anyone else have any acronym anecdotes?