Science Forums

Looking for some info

drewgul

Im a sophmore at a community college in Arizona. I currently have a g.p.a of 3.8. Im to the point where I need to declare a major. I do know my love is plants. I would love to do something in plant biology or botany. Im really just looking for some feedback, some possible jobs with that kind of a degree. I have done a few internet searches with not to much luck. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. thank you

drew

There is always the research/academia route...but it will require at a bare minimum a graduate degree.

There are plenty of agriculture firms out there that are continually looking to improve our food crops through specific GM or specific breeding of strains.

Enter in the private sector as a free lance gardener trouble shooter...a Dirt Dr....

Go into the nursery field...

Grow pot...

I suppose there are lots of things...Forestry...Just random rambling...

• 2 weeks later...

it's a very important decision, since it will probably determine the course of your life. some jobs bring contentment , but no income. others bring income but no contentment. decide which of these things is more important and let that help guide your decision. it's always possible to change if your education is broad based enough. get all the education you can while you're young. don't have babies until you're 28!

Hey Drew,

I started off studying Botany. I graduated with a degree in Freshwater Ecology. :)

As long as you know that you're definitly into plants, then the path will probably reveal itself to you. You are standing at the crossroads of a million options. Chose one at a time and I'm sure you'll be happy with where you end up. As far as a job, I would highly recommend that you do as many internships as possible, starting with your Junior year. I have been out of school for 2 years now and still no career job. To be honest, employers don't seem to care what your degree is. They only care about your experiences and knowledge and how it can help them.

Something else to think about: What is it that drew you to plants? What is your interest in them?