Science Forums

Newsletter poll

Tormod

How often should the newsletter arrive?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How often should the newsletter arrive?

• Once a month
    • One monthly newsletter, weekly news updates
    • One newsletter every other week
    • Weekly news updates only
    • Whenever there is something new!
    • Never

I voted “never”, because I prefer the idea of a “newspage”, linked to from the main scienceforums page, to an email newsletter.

I think a periodically updated page showing whatever the creative & controlling people that make this forum possible would like is a very good idea.

I’d personally like to see:

• A prominent link on the scienceforums main page, showing when the newspage was last updated, and using a graphical attention-getter (stars, etc) when it has been recently updated.
  • An “idea digest” describing the repetition-worthy ideas recently discussed
  • Reports of proposals and action on proposals from the Suggestions and Wish List forum
  • A summary of new members
  • Stats, such as number of posts, relative increase/decrease in posts, active members, etc.

I think a periodically updated page showing whatever the creative & controlling people that make this forum possible would like is a very good idea.

That is what A) the portal (ie, our front page http://hypography.com/forums/ ) is for, and :naughty: also what the "latest articles" is for. :)

I’d personally like to see:

[*]A prominent link on the scienceforums main page, showing when the newspage was last updated, and using a graphical attention-getter (stars, etc) when it has been recently updated.

This should not be necessary since it was updated at the time the last news article was posted, which is listed in the "Latest articles" section to the top right hand side of most pages.

[*]An “idea digest” describing the repetition-worthy ideas recently discussed

Wow...that sounds like a lot of work!

[*]Reports of proposals and action on proposals from the Suggestions and Wish List forum

We don't really get a lot of proposals...but response to the ones we get is a good idea. I thought we did that already, though.

[*]A summary of new members

What do you mean by this?

[*]Stats, such as number of posts, relative increase/decrease in posts, active members, etc.

This is all listed both at the portal page and at the bottom of the forum index (the relative "increase" in posts will be the "New posts" number - this number can't be negative).

I may be confused here but

That is what A) the portal (ie, our front page http://hypography.com/forums/ ) is for, and :shrug: also what the "latest articles" is for. :)
True, but the portal page is primarily for getting at the rest of the site. What I’m attempting to describe is a page – a “newspage” - more resembling an email letter, where its authors can say whatever they feel needs to be said. This could easily be accomplished by having it be a post in the Announcements forum, though, since people don’t always browse the Forum Index to find posts in that forum…
I’d personally like to see:[*]A prominent link on the scienceforums main page, showing when the newspage was last updated, and using a graphical attention-getter (stars, etc) when it has been recently updated.
This should not be necessary since it was updated at the time the last news article was posted, which is listed in the "Latest articles" section to the top right hand side of most pages.
The Latest articles pane holds links to only the most recently updated news articles and forum threads, often becoming flushed in just a few hours. A newspage link needs to be permanent, so that visitors returning after days, weeks, or months can easily visit it.

I fear I’ve caused some confusion by using the term “news” as in “newsletter”, without sufficiently distinguishing it from “news” as in “Science News”. The newspage I’m suggesting would contain news about just the scienceforums website, not Science news in general.

[*]An “idea digest” describing the repetition-worthy ideas recently discussed
Wow...that sounds like a lot of work!
I’ve been told I excel at coming up with lots of work. :)

Yes, it would be a significant amount of editorial work, on a monthly, biweekly, or weekly basis, requiring people who have collectively read and digested the site’s content to present this digested info in reader-worthy form. Practically, to produce a high-quality and sustained periodic document, this would likely require several “contributing editors”, and one “managing editor” with good collaborative rapport.

If others think there’s some merit to my proposal, I’d be glad to help in such an endeavor, together with others or as a solo “prototype” effort.

[*]Reports of proposals and action on proposals from the Suggestions and Wish List forum
We don't really get a lot of proposals...but response to the ones we get is a good idea. I thought we did that already, though.
Yes, I believe we do – this dialog is an example of just that. I included this list item because Suggestion and Wish List forum threads often have special significance with regards to the sort of info that’s reported in a newsletter/page.
[*]A summary of new members
What do you mean by this?
Something similar to the Portal’s “Top 15 Posters” pane and “welcome to our newest member” field, but rather than showing the members with the greatest number of posts, showing the most recently joined members, and rather than just the one newest members, showing all new members for the previous month, 2 weeks, etc.
[*]Stats, such as number of posts, relative increase/decrease in posts, active members, etc.
This is all listed both at the portal page and at the bottom of the forum index (the relative "increase" in posts will be the "New posts" number - this number can't be negative).
The portal stats are “instant” stats, showing member/threads/posts since the beginning of the site, or since a member’s last logon. I’m proposing a comparison of instant stats over several defined time interval, showing their monthly (etc) change, allowing viewers to draw conclusions like “last month was a slow month” and “September is a busy month”, perceive spikes in membership, etc.

:) Thanks for making this effort to decipher my suggestions. I am, as you might gather, greatly enthused, edified, entertained, and enlightened by the going-ons at scienceforums. :hammer:

I vote for weekly - but it will only work if there is something to put in a newsletter everyweek. I dont want to see the quality deteriorate because your having to rush, so if it takes longer to create something good then im happy to get one monthly :)

CraigD's idea is fine but I think that you could still do the newsletter with much the same stuff and if you vote never and dont want to recieve it then they can remove themselves from the mailing list, simple.

id have to say id prefer the 2 week newspaper becuase i dont often have time to come in and check on whats going on but i do want to know on a pretty often basis of whats going on, but like jay-qu mentioned i dont really want it to be the once a week rushed paper.

• 2 weeks later...